Chapter 10 - Discovered

Jenkins paced impatiently in front of the door to the Olive Room for the third time that morning. Bingham was suppose to properly introduce him as an assistant guard to the Rramnon Princess, and for some reason he had yet to appear.

"He told me first thing in the morning." Jenkins reminded himself, "I'm here, where is he?"

Minutes ticked by and he grew even more restless. Perhaps something had come up and Jenkins would have to introduce himself personally. However if that was the case then someone should have been sent to inform him. After another ten minutes he gave the door an annoyed knock.

A muffled response sounding like an approval of entrance came from the other side.

Jenkins allowed himself into the room. He was noticeably surprised by the effortless silence the large white oak door swung opened with. The lack of noise meant that Jenkins's entrance did not catch the attention of the two occupants inside.

An instant later, Jenkins's heart dropped. He rubbed what must have been a hallucination from his eyes, and quickly slipped out of the room before either of the two women could notice him.

Why had he gone in there?

What had he been thinking?

He hadn't been admitted.

They hadn't been expecting him.

Where was Bingham?

Jenkins slumped unceremoniously against the wall and tried to figure out what to do with the image that he had just unexpectedly seared into his head.

Her.

'No.'  He informed himself stubbornly. 'You must be imagining it. You must.'

His eyes were playing tricks on him. 

They had to be.

Jenkins closed his eyes and tried to force the image to right itself, but it didn't change.

He tugged at it and begged it to alter but no matter what he tried the image remained firmly planted in his head.

She had been taking a bath he realized. He had glimpsed the outline of the large copper tub through a thin privacy screen that had been set up across the room. Thankfully the Princess was already dressed and sitting stoically at her vanity while her lady-in-waiting hummed happily and brushed her mistress's hair. 

The lady-in-waiting, 'Mryah?' he wondered remembering what Alperton had told him. Her back faced him as she busied herself with her task. The Princess's posture had remained frozen and she stared patiently at her reflection. 

He wasn't at the proper angle to see her face reflected in the mirror and he thanked the Sea for that. If he had been noticed, then what he had seen would cause him to loose him his position, and quiet possibly his head.