Chapter 1

• Dedicated to BajanCanadian (Mitchell Hughes)

If you want to be a tribute please comment with all the following details

1-What district

2-name

3-age

4-how you want to be killed

5-appearance

6-weapon/survival skills(not real)

MITCH'S P.O.V.

"Don't worry Connor. It's only your first year, you won't be picked." I reassure my little brother as we head towards the reaping. "I will see you soon, I promise."

In return he gives me a small nod and a wave. Besides... What's the worst that could happen. If he was picked I would volunteer. Tributes from district 2 usually win.

I walk with him towards the stage and motion that this is where he stops. I give him a quick pat on the back and head over to my station.

The crowd is buzzing and I already have a headache. Soon I see the very excitable Josephine Quaker walk on to stage in a bright fuschia dress. It has hundreds of small pink flowers on it. Just a little too 'girly' for my taste.

'Welcome welcome everybody. It is time for the drawing of this years 139th Hunger Games!" Josephine says in an extremely perky tone.

"LET'S HEAR IT FOR DA HUNGER DEEMS!!!" Someone from the crowd yells, and we all begin clapping and cheering. Josephine is tapping on the microphone, clearly getting frustrated at our rowdieness. 

"Finally! Now lets see, women first." Josephine says as the excitement dies down. " this years female tribute will be.... Danielle Huser!" We all clap until we see a short and skinny blonde approach the stage. She looks really nervous and almost stumbles while climbing up the stairs that lead to the stage. Not much promise there. Unless the male tribute is an experienced killer, District 2 is not likely to have a winning tribute.

"And for the male tribute...." Her voice wavers while selecting the folded white slip of paper. "We have Andy Bennion!" I take a sigh of relief when Connor's name is not called. If he was selected for tribute, I would volunteer without a moment of doubt. Kind of like that Katniss Everdeen chick who volunteered at least 50 years ago. I still have no clue how she and that amputee Peeta beat Cato. He was the most likely to win. Even after looking at the other males who had been playing with weapons since they were young children.

I glance around and see Andy making his way towards the stage. I am probably insane but I notice that Andy's two younger sisters are crying very loudly. His mother is sobbing into her hands. His family has already lost Daniel to the Hunger Games. Andy is my friend. He is quiet and shy. I wouldn't be able to stand watching him die on screen. Suddenly my insanity rises

"I VOLUNTEER AS TRIBUTE!" I shout.

There are gasps from the audience and I see Connor shaking his head. I panick at first but then I see the gimpse of hope in the oldest of the two sisters, Annalise. I slowly make my way through the thick crowd and walk to the stage. While I'm passing Andy, I hear him quickly whisper "thanks man, for being a great friend." We give each other a pat on the back and I trudge along, through the thick grass, towards the stage.

I walk up the dull gray stairs and I can see all the eyes from the crowd staring at me, judging me by my every movement. I nearly choke when I see Connor crying, no sobbing, into his arm. Probably trying to shield his face from the prying capital cameras. Once he comes to talk to me... He will understand. He will see that now I have an actual purpose in my life. I just want to make my little brother proud, I suddenly realize.

"Hello? Young man?"

I look up suddenly and the peppy announcer is beckoning towards me. "Yes?"

"Uhhm, what is your name?"

Oh sorry... Mitchell Hughes." I reply barely above a whisper.

"Well it looks like we have our two tributes. Danielle Huser and Mitchell Hughes. Now go on you two... Shake hands." Josephine states in a high pitch voice.

I firmly grip Danielle's hand and shake it. Her limbs are flimsy and she is not very strong. I doubt she will make it past the first day in the arena.

"Please come with me." A peacekeeper says in a gruff voice as he practically grabs my arm and yanks me behind the large mahogany doors on the stage. "You will have 7 minutes to say goodbye to your visitors."

"Thanks... But is the 7 minutes according to capital time or Mitch time?"

"Very funny, but your CAPITOL minutes are ticking away."

Soon Connor bursts through the door. "Mitch! Mitch! Why did you volunteer!" He practically screams through tears.

"Shhhh buddy it's ok. I volunteered for Andy because he already lost a brother. I didn't want to se him die. Besides, the careers from our district usually win anyways." I state as I pull my little brother in for a long hug.

"Please promise I will get to see you again."

"You know I will try my hardest." I don't want to promise him anything. Who knows... I'm not GUARANTEED a win. "Connor, where are mom and dad?"

"They didn't want to see you." He says through tears "They told me to tell you that if you died, you would bring the heavy burden of dishonor to our district."

"Oh." Well that really hurt. My parents didn't even want to say goodbye to me. "Well now we are going to have to make sure I win right Connor?"

"That right!" He boldly announces with a small smile starting to form at his mouth.

"And.. Once I win," if I win, I think silently to myself."The first thing I do is come home and share a HUGE bowl of ice cream with you. Okay?"

"Mitch... I just wanted to tell you tha-"

Connor was cut off by a loud beeping that sounds vaguely like a microwave.

The guard bursts into to the room and says "that was your one minute warning."

"Connor don't worry. And no matter what happens, I will always love you as my little brother."

"I love you too Mitch!" He says and grabs me by my waist. "Why did you have to volunteer? I'm going to miss you a lot."

"Time is up, let's go kid!" The guard says while grabbing the back of Connors shirt.

"Mitch, I love you!" He screams through the heavy flow of tears.

"Bye!" I barely manage to get out before the door slams shut and my little brother is gone.