19 | Identity

Without regards to their own safety, Damon, Maddie, and Ethan all ran to Ginny's side. As the water flooded out of her glass box, her body fell flat towards the white floor tiles. There was a damp smack of her skin hitting the cold surface, followed by a skin-ripping splash when the floor was semi occupied by the water.

Damon hoisted her upper body into his arms, supporting her back using his knees. His movements were surprisingly soft when he tapped the side of her cheeks, trying to put some color back into her.

"Ginny, wake up."

Bree finally managed to regain her balance after inhaling a good amount of clean air. She reached out to Ginny and quickly grabbed the girl's hand, placing two fingers against her wrist. "I don't feel a pulse."

The shocking news made Maddie flinch. She quickly hid her face against Ethan's chest as he intuitively caressed her back using his arms.

"Are you sure?" Damon questioned the other.

"I wouldn't kid around at a time like this," Bree said, her tone desolated.

Damon's movement halted, and the gaze in his eyes faded to emptiness. He did not cry for Ginny. He was not in denial. He accepted it, knowing that mourning was not going to bring her back. His tears were not going to shower life into her. He was always the most realistic one among them all.

Without saying a word, he placed his arms around the girl's stiff neck and thigh, lifting her up in his arms, bridal style. "I guess we couldn't make it out together," he whispered softly.

The others watched Damon leave the room, and their eyes now trailed to the big screen monitor displaying something else. The number five.

At this point, no one had to point out the significance of the number. They all knew. A mental note was made for when the time came whereby these numbers would deem its usage.

***

Things were getting out of hand and it was ridiculous. Every time they played a game, someone would die. There was one game left and Maddie couldn't bear thinking that one of them would be gone next.

With her hands clasped in front of her mouth and her eyes pathetically trying to withhold her tears, she wanted to return to her room. She had to end things.

"Hey." Ethan called out, grabbing her wrist to spin her towards him. She had been awfully quiet, but he did not expect to find her in glistening eyes that would soon start a downpour. "W- what's wrong?"

"I can't do this," she said, wiping the tears from her wet eyes using her sleeve. Then she turned around heading towards her room, allowing him to follow her. "I know the Game Master is trying to give us some clue. These aren't just some random games."

"Are you talking about the trivia quiz questions?"

She halted at his question and blinked. "Do you feel the same way?"

"I felt he was trying to communicate to us indirectly."

Knowing she wasn't alone with her assumptions made her smile with momentary glee. Maddie locked the door to her room and quickly retrieved the black notebook she had found. She sat down on the floor, leaning against the bedframe. Ethan automatically followed her and took the empty space to her right.

"This diary belongs to the Game Master. Some of the entries are rather disturbing." Maddie shoved the book for him to see.

"Ah, so you have finally decided to share it with me?" Ethan remarked, stopping himself from letting a grin slip. But when he turned to meet her frowning eyes, he couldn't help but smile cheekily.