20 | Fire

How did reality turn into this sickening and twisted universe? How was one able to say they weren't living in their greatest nightmare instead? It wasn't supposed to be like this. No one ever predicted this was what it would come down to. The fact everyone naturally drifted off and abandoned their friendship in return for a riddance of their guilt was unacceptable. During that Summer, five years ago, no one saw death approaching.

"Come on, let's get in the car," Harvey said. He was already in the driver's seat of one of the two large seven seater Volkswagen they had rented. He loudly honked to gain everyone's attention, and they scolded him with laughter.

"Hold on, Jay's not here yet," Natasha said. While everyone else was loading their baggage into the two car trunks, she was peering into the distance with her hand against her eyebrows.

"If he's not here by the next minute, maybe we should leave both of you behind," Ashlyn said, roughly biting the chips she was snacking on. Her words sounded playful, perfectly masking the truth conveyed.

"That's not nice," Steven remarked with a smile plastered on his face. A DSLR camera dangled from his neck as he approached his girlfriend and planted a quick peck on her puffed up cheek. He loved taking photographs of every single worthy moment. "This trip wouldn't be as enjoyable without everyone here."

Ashlyn didn't give much of a response aside from her usual sheepish smile. When Steven turned away to get a few more things ready, she returned to her default frown. Of course her boyfriend would defend Natasha.

"Hey, cheer up. This is to celebrate your birthday as well. Can't have the birthday girl frowning." Shirley came into her vision. The motherly smile on her face was contagious, and Ashlyn reluctantly found herself smiling along. Shirley was working her magic, as always.

"Should I drive?" Steven's voice questioned in the far distance.

"You'd be too weak. I can handle it," Damob said, already having hurried his way into the driver's seat of the other van. They needed two vans to fit their group of thirteen people.

"Dude, I am a dancer. I have amazing stamina!" Steven playfully pushed his friend by his arm.

"Ballet dancing isn't exactly manly," Damob continued, still grinning at every insult he threw out.

Before Steven could put up a protest, Damon's head was loudly smacked by a sudden force. The culprit entered the van and sat right behind him.

"You don't need manliness to have good stamina. Just make sure you don't fall asleep while driving," Bree said sternly.

"I trust I couldn't, judging on the way you'd hit me if I doze off," Damon sneered at the girl.

She returned his look with a forced smile, opening her magazine to keep herself busy if they weren't going to play games during the trip.

"Okay, we have Ashlyn, Bree, Ethan..." Steven trailed off as he stared at his little brother with a sneaky glare. There was only one more seat left at the back. Steven's eyes pleaded with him, but Steven was only trying to help. "Maddie, get in this car!"

"Oh?" Maddie who was about to set foot in the other van quickly retracted her movements. She obediently followed Steven's command, taking a seat to the empty space conveniently located next to Ethan.

"You're welcome." Steven patted his brother's knee.

"There he is! Jay is here!" Natasha yelled cheerfully when she saw her best friend running to them, his large backpack dangling from his shoulders.

"What about your parents? I thought they didn't allow you to come," Mark asked. Everyone knew Jay was having a fight with his parents because they forced him to get into marketing while he wanted to study dance with Natasha.