f i v e

Mina slept in super late, sleeping through breakfast and lunch. Nightmares had her up most of the night, and she had to take sleeping medicine to prevent herself from waking up throughout the night again. The medicine worked a little too well for its own good.

She stumbled in the kitchen, imagining she was imagining food being cooked. But her eyes widened when she actually saw someone cooking for her, in her kitchen.

"Chaeyoung, what are you doing here?" Mina groaned.

Chaeyoung greeted her with a huge smile and sparkling eyes. Mina wish she had eyes like hers.

"I'm cooking for you! I was worried about you, since you didn't wake up like you usually did. I also checked the mail and everything!"

Mina should be mad, furious that Chaeyoung was breaking and entering. But she wasn't mad. Just confused.

Maybe the medicine had a side effect of not being able to be mad.

"That's...nice, I guess."

"I brought over some toast and eggs from home. I hope you don't mind, but I like really American food."

"Is that so?" Mina mumbled, thinking Chaeyoung couldn't hear. But she most definitely did.

"Yep! I've loved it ever since Dahyun unnie had me try some. But it's so unhealthy, unfortunately."

Chaeyoung pouted as she cut off the griddle she was cooking on. Then she plated the food and brought it to the table, smiling. Mina stared down at the toast and yellow entity on the plate, hesitantly picking up the fork Chaeyoung included. She wasn't sure if she should eat it.

Slowly, she took a bite, staring at Chaeyoung, who was eating away like a cute puppy. Upon not feeling anything disgusting, she chewed and swallowed, deciding that she may like it. Maybe the poison was flavorless, and it would activate in a few hours or so.

"This is...okay," Mina commented, eating more of it. She was hungry and, frankly, she didn't care if she died or not. She had nothing to live for, besides chess.

Chaeyoung stopped eating. "Is it bad? Did I use too much seasoning? Did I not use enough? I can never tell at these things, since I just eat whatever I cook, no matter if I followed the recipe wrong or not. I'm really sorry! I--"

"Chill, girl," Mina interrupted. She doesn't understand how Chaeyoung could always be so hyper and upbeat all the time. Especially since what happened yesterday. "It's fine."

"Oh. Good. It's just, I've never really cooked for anybody before, and I'm so worried that my food would be nasty to you. Hehe, sorry, unnie."

Mina hates the way Chaeyoung calls her "unnie". She hates the way Chaeyoung looks so adorable, causing her to not be angry at her for breaking in her home. She hates the way Chaeyoung makes her heart beat faster than normal with one toothy smile. If only she could push her out her house.

But she stays there, listening to Chaeyoung talk about her grandma that she grew up with.

"...And that's the reason I don't eat candy," Chaeyoung concluded, finishing her food. She looked over at Mina's empty plate and smiled.

"Finished? Great! Do you have work or anything?"

"I work at home," Mina grunted, watching as Chaeyoung picked up their dishes.

"Great! Wanna play a game? I'm up to play anything!"

Mina smirked. She thought of her chess sets in her room, and decided to have fun with beating Chaeyoung a couple of times. Maybe her visit wouldn't turn out so bad after all.

Five games later, Mina sat with a metaphoric crown on her head. She beat Chaeyoung during each round, enjoying the pout on the younger's face. The last round they played, Chaeyoung was dangerously close to winning, but thanks to Mina's superior moves, she captured Chaeyoung's king just in time.

"I win, once again," Mina cheered, setting the pieces back up.

"You're really good. How did you learn to play?" Chaeyoung asked, fixing one of her pigtails.

"Mom."

"My grandmother taught me. We play a lot, and I purposely let her win."

Mina rolled her eyes. "Yeah, right. You're probably just really bad against her."

Chaeyoung shrugged innocently. "Yeah, I might be."

Mina half expected Chaeyoung to defend herself, but then again, this was Chaeyoung. A happy-go-lucky girl that so happens to be her next-door neighbor. That doesn't flinch at any insult thrown her way. Who is so convinced that Mina is a good person.

Mina doesn't ask why Chaeyoung sticks around her. She just lets it happen. When Chaeyoung shows up, she lets her in without a question. But she'll never tell herself that she possibly has feelings for the smaller girl. Because that will never be possible.

Mina will never love anyone again.