Chapter 7

A nine year old Chase walked into the tech lab and over to where a nine year old Alex and a nine year old Nick were sitting on the floor, “Hi,” he said.

            Alex kept working on a scanner, but Nick looked up, “Hi...” he said, warily.

            Chase smiled, “I'm Chase.”

            “Nick, that's Alex,” Nick said, indicating to Alex with a jerk of his head.

            Chase pointed to a nine year old Blake, who was sitting on a lab table, “Who’s he?” he asked.

            Alex looked up from her work, “That's Blake,” she said.

            Chase studied Blake for a moment, “He's pretty,” he said.

            “Boy's aren't pretty,” Nick said, glaring at Chase.

            “He is,” Chase argued, “You just can't see it.”

            Alex looked at Chase, “He is,” she said, “But don't tell him I said that.”

            Chase grinned and nodded, “You talk like a grown up,” he said.

            “It's cause she's got a lot of smartness,” Nick said.

            Alex went back to working on the scanner while Nick and Chase watched her. When she finished, she looked up and grinned. “Blake!” she yelled.

            Blake looked up, “Yeah?”

            Alex held up the scanner, “Program this?” she asked.

            “What is it?” Blake asked.

            “Come see,” Alex said with a grin.

            Blake smiled, hopped off the table and walked over, “A heat sensor?” he said. “Cool!”

            Alex smirked as Chase looked over at Blake, “Hi, I'm Chase,” he said.

            Blake looked up and smiled, “Hi, I'm Blake,” he said.

* * *

            Despite what Nick said the night before, they hit the road at eight. “We'll stop by the Lights tonight,” Alex said after a while.

            Nick grinned, “Good idea.”

            Alex turned around to check on Chase, Blake and Caleb and laughed, “Chase and Blake are asleep, again,” she said, turning back around.

            Nick laughed, “Want to give them a shock?” he asked nodding to the cassette player. “Cal, turn on your camera.”

            Alex smirked and searched the glove compartment for a cassette as Caleb turned his camera on. “Black Sabbath?” Alex asked, holding up the cassette.

            “Highway to Hell,” Nick said.

            Alex popped the cassette in and turned the radio all the way up before hitting play.

            “HOLY-”

            “LANGUAGE!” Alex yelled to Chase, turning in her seat so that her back was against the dashboard and grinning. “Good morning,” she said after Nick turned the music down.

            “I hate you.” Chase mumbled.

            “No you don't,” Alex sang.

            “Wave to the world,” Caleb said.

            Alex tossed her head back and laughed, before singing along to the song.

            “You are a horrible singer,” Chase said.

            Alex stopped singing, “Thanks,” she said, before starting to sing again.

            Chase rolled his eyes and everyone started laughing. “That wasn't a compliment,” he said.

            “I know,” Alex said making everyone laugh harder, before she turned the music up.