one

When the tragic news of his girlfriend reached him, Alaric was devastated to say the least

When the tragic news of his girlfriend reached him, Alaric was devastated to say the least. He felt angry, at himself and at the driver, he felt heartbroken, but most of all he felt guilty.

If he hadn't yelled at her, if he been a better boyfriend, then maybe she'd still be sitting next to him.

In an attempt to distract himself from everything that had happened, Alaric had begun to drink again. It was a bad habit that she had helped him end, but now she was gone and had been replaced by anything that helped him forget.

From boxed wine to top shelf bourbon, Alaric had no preference.

His problem had gotten seemingly worse since the accident, to the point where he had been fired from his job at Mystic Falls High for showing up intoxicated on several occasions.

Damon Salvatore came round to his apartment most days, constantly trying to console his grieving friend, but to no avail.

"You really loved her, didn't you?" The raven haired vampire asked his alcoholic friend one day.

"Why's that?" Came his slurred response.

"You don't just destroy yourself like this unless you truly love someone."

It remained silent between the two men for a little while after that before Alaric finally spoke, "Yeah, I did."

The clock on the wall read 3:17am, and they both knew they should have been asleep but Alaric had to finish grading papers and Kelsey had wanted to keep him company.

"Oh my gosh," she gasped abruptly, setting her phone down onto the counter, "I love this song!"

Alaric places his red pen onto the stack of papers that sat before him, standing up as he extended his hand towards his girlfriend.

"May I have this dance?"

"You certainly may," a light laugh left her soft lips as she placed her hand in his.

He pulled her body closer to his, placing his calloused hands on her small waist as they swayed gently to the soft music.

Kelsey looked up, her ocean eyes locking with his, not thinking twice about the words that slipped from her lips.

"I love you."

It had been the first time the words had been spoken between them – in the kitchen at 3am as they slow danced to an equally slow song.

"I love you, too," he needn't think about his reply as he leant down and pressed his chapped lips to hers.

It had been the first time the words were uttered, but it sure as hell wouldn't be the last.