seven

The thunder crackled loudly in the sky, lightning flashing occasionally, lighting up areas of Mystic Falls in the distance

The thunder crackled loudly in the sky, lightning flashing occasionally, lighting up areas of Mystic Falls in the distance. The heavy rain on the roof of his apartment seemed to soothe him as he watched the storm rage on outside his window.

"You okay, buddy?" Damon questioned as he passed his friend a glasses of bourbon.

"Yeah. Yeah, I'm alright," he nodded, wrapping his calloused fingers around the glass tumbler. His ocean eyes landed on the flower shop across the road, more specifically the sunflower arrangement in the front window. "Just thinking."

"Thinking about what?"

"Kelsey." Alaric answered in a monotonous tone. "Long car rides, thunder, love poems, sunflowers; it all reminds me of her and the night we met."

Damon furrowed his thick brows, "What even happened that night?"

"We met at a bar where this poetry reading was happening. It was terrible and we both left early," a ghost of a smile appeared on his thin lips at the memory, "but there it was raining and she didn't have an umbrella. We ended up sharing while we waited for the rain to pass but it only got heavier. I offered her a ride home and we started talking. We drove past a sunflower field and ended up running through it like we were kids. Then it started raining again so we got back in the car and I took her home, and we just talked for the rest of the night."

"That's it? That was the best night of your life?"

"Yeah," he turned away from the window, pushing the glass tumbler back into Damon's hands. "By far."

Alaric walked away from Damon, and the window, and all the little things that reminded him of his lost lover for the pain was beginning to be too much to bear.