Letter 5

Dear Jasper,

Lola, your cheating ex, sprayed vulgar words onto my car. My parents were worried and I assured them it was a silly prank. I drove my car to the shop. The man gave me a look before telling me it would take a week. A week without a car because someone couldn't buy a canvas to put their anger out on.

I made my way to the bookstore across the road. The door dinged as the cool air rushed onto my face. It was silent. Silent that I could hear my broken heart still beating. My eyes wondered to the book that you last read. I pulled it off the shelf. My fingers itched with emotions as I searched for that one page. The lump grew in my throat as I stared at your writing.

My finger tips burned as my fingers traced your writing

My finger tips burned as my fingers traced your writing. The words drew me into a memory of us. A memory from the beginning of us.

It was halfway through junior year. We were assigned The Great Gatsby to read. My eyes were skimming the pages of my book when your body slide its way into the seat beside me. My eyes met yours briefly before returning to the pages of the worn book. You then cleared your throat and your stare burned me. God, how cheesy could you be. My brown eyes looked back into your ocean blue ones, which I was trying to avoid immensely. You leaned in and your scent invaded my space. Your deep voice asked me my favorite quote of the book. I ignored you. I bet you wonder why. Why would you ignore a boy giving you attention? Why? Because like every girl I assumed the worse. I assumed he was dared by his friends. Bet you can't get the good girl to talk to you. I was not playing the game and you noticed. Or maybe you didn't notice because everyday you repeated your actions. Asking me my favorite quote, leaning in my personal space, and giving me the smile hoping to charm my panties off. I didn't budge, and soon you quit. Because I knew you once before you became the heartbreaker, you are.

At least, I thought you had, until you showed up at the library, the same one I'm sitting in now. I began to think you had lots of money riding on this bet to win me over. You didn't though because you said there never was a bet. My eyes watched you carefully and calculated your movements as you sat across from me. Your lips lifted into a half smile and half dimples began to show. Your arms crossed emphasizing your muscles.

You said, "Will you tell me your favorite quote now?"

You don't know this but I laughed silently in my head. At this point, I knew dam well I was screwed, so I did the most cliche thing. I answered you and began the downward spiral that came with this interaction. I threw myself headfirst into a world of heartbreak, just like a fool. A screwed fool, or perhaps a beautiful little fool, which is the best thing for a girl to be in the world of shatter hearts.

Love,

Aspen