Chapter 7: From Happiness To Terror

I felt a rush of happiness when I heard my mother's high heels come to my room. The screeching of a chair being pulled up to my bed gave me a warm feeling inside.

"Hello Julia" my mother whispered.

She began to stroke my hair just like the last time she was here. Her soft touch soothed my aching body.

"Dad was called into work, so he couldn't make it today."

My mind trailed off as she kept talking. I've never wanted to talk so bad before. I felt my warm happiness turn into anger. The fury bubbled inside me. Oh how I wanted to scream out WHY! I felt like I could do it. Ok. All I have to do is put all my strength and passion into one word, but what should I say? I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. Ok. I can do this.

"Hi" I whispered.

Oh. My. Gosh. I just spoke. Did she hear me?

"Oh my goodness! Julia you talked!"

I felt my mother's long arms wrap around my body. Her steady heartbeat was like a music to my ears. My throat hurt really bad after saying a word, but I didn't care. The Lord had given me my wish; answered my prayers to speak and ask questions.

"I know how. I couldn't." I said softly. My voice cut me off before I could say anything else.

I heard a sigh of relief leave her breath and she let go of me and say back into her chair.

"Oh, I'm so sorry sweetie. I was worried that the only reason your wouldn't talk, was because you didn't know how."

Another deep breath was let out of her lungs, but quickly let back in when someone approached us. It was the doctor.

"Good Morning Ladies." He greeted us in a deep voice. My mother replied hello back, just to be polite, but even I could tell that he was going to tell my mother something important. Which in my mind, meant scary.

"So earlier as you know, we began to set Julia up for surgery. Unfortunately her heart-rate suddenly sped up quickly. I believe it was because of anxiety."

No duh. Even a preschooler could have made тнaт assumption. I continued to listen to нιѕ theory.

"Fortunately, we were able to have one of our doctors talk to her and calm her down."

Then they started to talk about other boring stuff so I zoned out. I knew that I was here for my eyes, and that was probably what I was getting a surgery on. But why? I still couldn't remember anything that had happened.

"Alright Julia, it's time to take off your wrap." The doctor leaned in closer to me.

His breath smelled like cigarettes which made me choke. Wrap? Is that why I've had a ongoing headache for the past few days? Was that the thing keeping me from seeing? Then why did it hurt when I moved my eyes left and right? I never knew that one simple word, would overflow my brain with so many questions. I felt his cold, dry hands untie the wrap from the side of my face. My damp hair brushed my neck which made me shiver. I've been sweaty really bad for the past few hours. I wondered if they understood that even though my numbers were normal, I was still really scared. I felt the cloth peel off my sweaty face. What a relief.

"Ok Julia now whatever you do don't open,"

Sadly, I wasn't exactly paying attention to what he said, which was a mistake. When the cloth was removed, I immediately opened my eyes. I saw light! Bright light! But my joy of seeing, quickly turned into terror. Apparently, no one was looking at me when I opened my eyes. That moment, I experienced the worst pain in my life. The pain was so extreme, it felt like someone took a knife, and jabbed it into my eyes. I screamed off the top of my lungs and I felt the rush of air when the doctor spun around and I heard my mother gasp, then cry.

"JULIA SHUT YOUR EYES!" The doctor shouted.

I tried to shut them, but they wouldn't budge. My eyelids refused to move. They were just to tense.

"I CAN'T" I screamed.

I laid there crying at the excruciating pain. The doctor ran to my bed and grabbed hold to my face

"MRS. CHESLER! I NEED YOU TO COME HOLD JULIA'S HEAD STILL WHILE I FORCE HER EYES CLOSED." The doctor had to yell even though my mother was only steps away, to overpower the piercing beeping from the machines.

My mother ran over still sobbing, and held my head. One of her tears splashed onto my cheek. She had a very tense grip on my face, which scared me even more.

"Ok Julia, I'm going to be completely honest with you, this is going to hurt, so just try to relax." I could tell he was trying to comfort me.

I knew it was going to be miserable, because when a doctor said something hurt, he wasn't sugar coating it. I held my breath and clenched my fists.

"Ok ready?" He asked.

I wanted to say no, but I knew he was asking a rhetorical question.

"1,2,3!" He shouted.

I clenched my fists as hard as I could and he pressed down on my eyelids, and they slowly began to shut. I screamed and cried. I grabbed onto the sides of my bed pulling up the sheets.

"STOP STOP!!!!" I screeched, tears flooding down my face. My mother was crying to.

The doctor let out a sigh of relief and slowly took his fingers off my eyes. My heart was racing faster than ever and I kept crying, even though the tears never left me.

"I'm so sorry Julia." The doctor said slowly.

My heart was beating out of my chest and i began to shake. That was the most frightening experience of my life.

"Julia, calm down, your ok now. I'll be back in a few minutes to take you into surgery." I heard the doctor pat my mothers back, then shut the door as he left. My mother continued to cry.

"Hug. Come." I whispered still trying to catch my breath.

Her sobbing and sniffling grew louder and I felt her come close. I really wanted to stretch out my arms and hug her, but I was to scared to move a muscle. She put her arms around me, and her head on my chest. Now was my chance. I had to ask.

"Why?"

Thank you to everyone who had read this far! It means sooo much to me :). I hope you enjoyed this chapter! This was one of the hardest ones to write so far LoL. If u love my story, please vote it and leave comments! I love reading your comments because it always makes me smile to know that you love my writing :)

~KT <3 ;)