Chapter two : I celebrated my fourteenth birthday by setting my neighbor on fire

Weeks passed, and my birthday came. The only date that I am excited for, except my dad’s birthday and Bianca’s. I am turning fourteen, and my dad told me that when I turn fourteen he will tell me an important matter, I was thinking maybe he was talking about my mom.

Today was Saturday so I don’t have any classes. I was happy that our teachers didn’t gave us a single homework. It was like a vacation, no homework.

“Morning dad.” I said in full excitement. I was really excited today. It was the first time my dad had his day off. Strange, but I didn’t care as long as he is with me.

“Good morning, Lucy.” He said. “Are you ready to go?” he asked.

“Of course, I was packing the whole night.” I said enthusiastically.

“I already packed our food and placed it on the car. Be sure not to forget something.” He said as he headed to our front door. I went back to my room and took my backpack. I looked around my room and thought if I forgot something. I found my sketch book and a pencil attached to its side. I took it and shoved it in to my backpack. I headed down stairs and went straight to my dad’s car.

***

  We reached the forest and it was so… Green. Whoa, this is awesome but dangerous. I am scared that some crazy bear will join us on our camping and will say “Hey, can I join you? And after that can I also eat you for dinner?” but I feel safe cause dad was with me so I will enjoy this camping experience. I just wish Bianca is with us but she said she is allergic to trees. What kind of person who is averse to nature?

It took us half an hour to reach the place where we will build our tent. We found a nice spot and there was a river beside it.

 Me and my dad started working on our tent. It was really hard. I am bad at reading instructions. The truth is I am bad at everything. I cannot even read a map. By some miracle we finished our tent and arranged everything.

My dad stared at me nervously. He is probably nervous about the thing that he will tell me later. I hoped it is good news.

When it got dark, we made fire. We roasted some marshmallows. My dad told me stories about when I was a child. It was embarrassing but I listened attentively and tried hard not to jump over the river and drown myself. Of course, speaking of the past I immediately asked my dad about my mother. I am sure that he will tell me the same old stories but I never get tired of hearing it. He always told me that he met her when he was having his break at a cheap coffee shop. My mother was a waitress and was very jolly. He then fall in love with her, but my dad needed to move places because of his job. When he came back my mother died and he found me at my grandmother’s home. I was just two months old.

“She was beautiful, Lucy.” He said. “Wise, kind and brave too. You had her unique brown eyes and her hair too, you know. Your mother loved you, she sends me letters every while back then. She told me she was expecting a baby. I thought that she was joking around, but it was true. I visited her right after you were born but I have to do something important that’s why I have to leave you both. And when I came back, she was gone and you were still a little baby longing for her mother. I was foolish back then. I shouldn’t have left you. I should have stayed with you and protected you both. I am really sorry, darling.”

“But it wasn’t your fault. You needed to do something important that’s why you left us. Dad please don’t blame yourself. I think mom is very happy right now, because you taught me a lot of good things.” I said eagerly. My dad already has a lot on his shoulder. Being a mother to a father and he needs to take good care of a troublesome kid.

“I wish she could see you now. Growing up, and becoming a very pretty lady.” He said as he smiled. He took something from his pocket and it was a very old little wooden box and a name was craven on it. It was craven “Zafrina”. It was my mother’s name. My dad opened it and inside was a very beautiful necklace. The pendant that was attached to it was very pretty. It was a plain red stone that was shaped as a heart. It was very pretty.