Chapter 3

Chapter 3:

I nodded and allowed Sean to escort me out. Aiden grabbed my other hand and all three of us walked out. I felt like a celebrity. The car ride took a while and when we finally reached our destination, I was in another universe.

“We are here.” I heard Sean whisper to me and he walked me out. We were standing in front a huge building more like an empire. It was somehow scary and you felt so insignificant facing it. Aiden gave me an assuring smile and we all walked inside.

We made our way to the top floor where the machine was there all on its own. It was more like a phone booth to be honest. It was a bit bigger with seats in it. The two men helped me sit and buckled me up with my bags.

“We have everything set for you back in France 1558. John’s apartment has electricity and the needed equipment for contact with us. We will be there when needed. Your father and uncle prepared everything for you.” Sean then added and I smiled at him. “Good luck kid”

“Bye” I said in hesitation. I could feel my body tense up with unease. I was going back in time to meet someone I never met, to do something I had never done. Frankly, it was frightening. I was literally taking a leap into the unknown with my life at risk. I was making a gamble with time.

I must say I was scared to death in that machine. The engine kept popping and the noises were scary. I think I was somehow being paranoid. The whole journey took about thirty minutes. I had to put my hand in a little box where a little blood was taken from me.

Sean told me that everything I want and need was already there. He also told me to keep looking for a godforsaken file for some abnormal reason. What was so important about that file anyways? I wasn't allowed to ask questions because I was still new to the job. Before I left; Aiden gave me dad's stuff. The bag was pretty much locked. He told me that the key was back in the apartment.

I just hope I would be able to blend in easily. After all, I was different, I knew all about the future, and I had learned everything about their time. I just don't want to ruin my first job. I love my head on my shoulders and not in the garbage.

The machine started to slow down and I could tell I had reached my destination. It landed gracefully but that didn't stop me from falling on my ass. I had forgotten to put the seat belt. Ain't I just smart? Did I mention that it practically exploded as it landed? The bombing sound it made nearly made me deaf.

I got out of the machine carrying my bags and started walking around aimlessly. The sun was beginning to rise so I put my shades on. I was told that I would be meeting up with the doctor who had given birth to me. He had also known both my parents. Maybe he'd tell me more about them; more about mom in specific.

I looked up and found a carriage at sight. That must have been my ride. I walked towards it dragging my feet because I was practically carrying stuff three times my damn size. I huffed knowing that somehow no one was there to help.

"We don't have all day." I heard some guy speak with a French accent. I looked up and saw a middle-aged man with crystal blue eyes and one big nose. He was well built and had the signs of a doctor on him. Behind him, two men stumbled their way to me. They were both handsome. I would not mind checking them out. At a distance, I could tell the resemblance. They must have been brothers; probably the doctor's children. I was told though he only had a daughter.

"You must be Alexis; Jonathan's daughter I presume?" The doctor asked me and I nodded. "You have his smile but you have a major resemblance to your mother. God bless you. Here allow us to help." He then said as he eyed the two men to carry my bags. "Where is your father?"