Chapter 6

Chapter 6:

~France; 1555~

"Tomorrow; Nicolai turns eighteen!” Benjamin said with over enthusiasm. "I shall ask her for marriage. I have been waiting for this day since the first time I laid eyes on her.” Benjamin moved closer to his brother; eyes sparkling. "Do you think she loves me?"

"How am I to know brother? She doesn't tell me who her heart beats for and I never asked.” Adrian said a bit bitterly. He never told his brother his true feelings towards Nicolai not to hurt him.  Adrian knew that if his brother found out; he would directly step down and let her go for him. He was completely oblivious about the true feelings Adrian had to her.

"I thought you two were close; was I mistaken?” Benjamin asked eyeing his brother. "You can trust me little brother; I won't utter a word for her.” He smiled.  Adrian smiled back at him to hide his hurt feelings.

"If she doesn't love you; she'd be a fool.” Adrian said as he avoided eye contact. Benjamin now lay down beside Adrian in his bed. He was looking at the wall with a grin on his face. Adrian thought his brother had lost his sanity. "The wall is quite intriguing."

"Don't make fun of me."Benjamin said as he messed his brother's hair up. "I want you to be right next to me when Nicolai walks down the aisle. It would mean the world for me."

"Of course I will. Now get some sleep. You have a big day tomorrow."

"You are right. Thank you little brother; for everything."

"That is why we are family. Good night.” Adrian said and went to sleep.  Benjamin stayed up all-night still lying down beside his brother. His eyes couldn't find sleep. He kept thinking about tomorrow.

Benjamin only closed his eyes for a moment before the sun came up lighting the entire room. He directly got up and took a quick shower. Once he was done, he threw a pillow at his brother.

"Wake up Adrian; the big day has come."

"Have you slept at all?” Adrian asked as he rubbed his eyes. Benjamin didn't answer; he just continued to fix his hair and attire. Adrian sat up straight. "Once you two get married; where would I live?"

"With us of course. The house is big enough for all of us. Where else would you go?” Benjamin looked at his brother as if he had lost his mind. Adrian couldn't stand the idea of living with Nicolai under the same roof.

"No; I am afraid I will not stay. I will live in the firm. After all, father left the top floor as a little home for one of us. I suppose it is going to be me." Adrian said as he sat up. "I will take a quick wash and we will be on our way."

"If that's what you want; I won't argue much further. Now hurry; we mustn't be late." Benjamin said as he hurried out the room. Adrian tried to hide his sadness but couldn’t. Even while taking a shower he couldn’t get himself to be happy for his brother.

 He got out, wore his best attire and picked up the gift for Nicolai; hiding the ring, he had bought her a year ago. He had always wanted to give it to her but never found the right time. He knew after her marriage for his brother; that time would never come.

“Are you ready Adrian?” Benjamin asked as he walked in.

“Yes brother; I am ready.” Adrian said and followed his brother outside. They rode the carriage to the doctor’s house even though it was right next to them. Benjamin thought it would help his luck.