Chapter 4: Jughead - "Please don't do anything.'

I arrive at school with no intention to go to lessons. Betty's in most of my classes, and I want to avoid her for multiple reasons...

"Jughead, I love you." Betty said. I cleared my throat, about to say something, but she stopped me by pressing her lips on mine.

...I know she's planning to ask me to write in the school newspaper with her about Jason's murder. There won't be any escaping that...

I kissed her passionately, my hands travelling down her back.

The dream I had had last night only confirms how I thought I felt about her. I might as well forget about protecting myself from getting hurt now, because she always manages to destroy my barriers. The lunch bell jolts me back to reality. Before I can escape, Betty strolls into the room I've been in all school day. The school newspaper team room. "Good, you're already here. Now I asked you to meet me here today, Juggie, so that I could offer you a place as a writer for 'the blue and gold'. Now I know that it isn't particularly your thing, but I'm sure you would benefit from-"
"Betty, I'll write for 'the blue and gold'." I cut her off. "You will? It's just, you've been avoiding me the whole day, and I didn't think you'd even turn up." She explains. "I know, but the thing is, Betty- what is that!?!" I shout, panicking. She had tucked her hair behind her ear (something she did when she was nervous) and her sleeve had fell a little, revealing bandages on her arm. Betty tugs her sleeve down quickly and puts her arm back to the side. "Nothing, it's nothing." She starts to panic herself. "Jughead, please. Don't do anything." She begs me. I step towards her and grab her arm gently, although she still winces. Then I pull up her sleeve to reveal bandages all the way up her arm. "Betty, what happened?!" I say, trying to stay calm. "I'm fine, Jughead. Please don't do anything." She begs me again. I unravel the beginning of her bandages. She'd cut herself. Tears fall from my eyes, quickly leaving my face drenched. "Betty, why?" I whisper. She shakes her head crying too. "Why?" I repeat. We cry together for at least ten minutes, until Betty says to me, "Why are you so upset?" I try to think about what she said, but my mouth has a mind of its own. "Because I hurt when you're upset." Betty laughs a little.
"What would you say if I told you I hurt when you're upset?" I laugh too, and we hug. "Betty, I really like you. And it really, really hurts me to see that you've done this to yourself." I admit. Betty looks me in the eyes. "I really like you too. And when you told me about your dad, It felt like my heart was being torn apart." Betty tells me. My heart speeds up till I think it's going to burst out of my chest. Does she really like me back? I lean into her, getting closer every second, until my lips touch hers. It's like an explosion. It leaves me wanting more, so I deepen the kiss. Placing one hand on her cheek, and the other on her back. Her hands travel down my back, towards the hem of my jumper. Abruptly, the door opens, making Betty and I jump apart. "I thought I'd find you here." Veronica grins. She is holding a box of cupcakes and a takeaway cup. "What is it, V?" Betty asks, slightly irritated. "I got you some cupcakes and a latte. Is something wrong?" Veronica persists. Betty and I look at each other. "No." We answer in unison. "Ok then." The Lodge girl continues. She passes Betty the box and cup. "The last time you brought me a drink and some baked goods, you were trying to make up for something..." Betty frowns. Veronica swallows, avoiding Betty's hidden question. "Jughead, what are you doing here?" She covers. I lower my eyebrows in confusion. "I'm here to write for 'the blue and gold'." I explain. "I'll leave you two to it then." I march past Veronica to find Archie.