Chapter 7: Betty - "Do you know what affect you have on people?"

He's homeless. My first awakening thought. But instead of being disgusted, I instantly try to figure out how I can help. He's still asleep on my bed. God, he's so adorable. I sit up. Staring at me is my laptop. I grab it, then open it up. The mouse floats across the screen to 'documents'. I'm about to continue writing my latest report, until my phone goes off. I switch the laptop off and pick up my phone. A text from Veronica.

B, I'm so sorry. I swear I never said anything to her. The only person I said anything to was Archie, and all I said was that I saw you two together in the blue and gold office. Forgive me, please?

What is she going on about? I open up twitter. Sure enough, there's a new tweet from Cheryl.

Who would have thought Wednesday Addams (Jughead) and the sister of a physcopath (Betty) would get together? Certainly not me.

A fresh tear rolls down my face. There are so many things that upset me from the remark. She insults Jughead, and then she calls Polly a physcopath. Soon enough, the bedsheets are wet through from my tears.

"Betty?" He says. I turn my head. "Why are you crying?" Jughead furrows his eyebrows. "Cheryl." I whisper. His eyes find the phone in my hands. I see him lean over to get his, but instead I offer him mine. He scans the tweet, looking more and more annoyed. I can tell he's trying to hold it back, but he looks fuming. His hands brush past mine as he hands me my phone back. "I'm sorry, Bets. I have to go." He grits his teeth, then climbs out my window. "Jughead." I cry, he doesn't hear me. Immediately, I throw open my bedroom door and race down the stairs. The front door slams behind me, I try to catch up to him.

After wailing at him just a tiny bit too far behind for him to hear, Jughead finally stops in front of the school gates. There she is. Cheryl Blossom. "What makes you think you can just tweet out people's personal lives?" He yells. "It's none of your goddamn business!!!" Cheryl wipes her hand across her face as if Jughead had just spat at her, even though he hadn't. She takes a deep breath, then smooths her skirt. "I think that you have no right to speak to me in that way, Jughead Jones. You may think you are stronger than everyone else, but let's not forget who owns this town." She retorts calmly.                                                                                                                            "I don't care who you think owns this town. You're messing with people's lives. Do you have any idea what affect you have people?" Now I understand why he's so angry. It wasn't the nickname, or the calling out on our relationship, which, let me be clear, wasn't like that. I think it was the comment about Polly. He knew that was the reason that I'd hurt myself. He was trying to protect me. At this moment, I do the one thing no one would expect me to do. I smile.

Short, I know. I said I wasn't sure if I was really continuing or not, so I started writing this and it felt good to be back with lots of fresh, new ideas for the plot. Let me tell you, before I took a break, I wouldn't have thought about steering it this way at all.