Chapter 11: Betty - Everything

I can't stop staring at Jughead. He's so absolutely adorable, and hot. Plus, he's got abs. The sun is blazing, the sea is rolling. It's such a nice day. I can't say it's perfect though. Nothing is. At the end of this day, I'll go home and my mom will ask me where I've been. I'll have to lie because she'd freak out even more if I told her I had a boyfriend. Either way, she'll slap me. Jughead realises I've zoned out and taps me on the shoulder, "Earth to Betty!" I squeeze my eyes shut, then dramatically open them. "What are you thinking about in that pretty little head of yours?" Jughead wonders out loud. I look at the sand, biting my lip. Suddenly, he clicks. "Your mom..." He barely whispers. I nod slowly. "Betty, I'm so sorry." He apologises. "How about we go back? You can tell her you went to the library." I nod again. He starts to pack up the wicker basket I'd brought with me. I just shift off the blanket, trying not to cry. Once everything is packed into the basket again, Jughead helps me get up. "Th- thanks." I mutter. We trudge back to the train station.

Jughead says goodbye around the corner of my house in the fear that my mom would see us. I walk the rest of the way to my house, finding it difficult to breath. Before I can put my keys in the lock, the door swings open. "Elizabeth Cooper. Where have you been!?!" My mother demands. I feel my lungs struggling. "I- I w-went to- the library..." I stutter. She grits her teeth. "Well that's just fine then isn't it!" Her hand grabs my wrist and she yanks me into the house. "You're such a goddamn liar, Elizabeth." She spits. Her palm comes into contact with my cheek. That's gonna go really red later. "Did you really think I wouldn't out about your 'boyfriend'?" Mom continues. Then the tears fall. She can do what she wants to me, but if she hurts Jughead, I'm broken. "Give me your phone right now!" She demands. I pass it over to her. My mom types in the passcode effortlessly. Then she opens up my messages and starts typing a message to Jughead. I scream and scream. My hands lurch at her, but she still stands there, now having sent it.

'My parents aren't home yet, want to come over?'

I sink to my knees. My sobs become erratic. "It's a trap!" I wanted to shout. How could she? I know she doesn't know what love is, but how can she be so incredibly black-hearted?

Jughead appears soon after. My mom has a firm grip on my forearm. Social services are waiting to spring on him. Mascara-stained tears stream down my face. He walks up the driveway. I try to break free of my mom's grasp, screaming warnings. Jughead stops in his tracks. The people waiting to take him away take this as their cue. They strike. I yell over and over again, straining against my mother. A harsh pull yanks me back, but I keep trying. "Jughead! Jughead! Please, no! Jughead!" I cry. My mom growls at me, "Betty, this is for your own good." I collapse onto the ground. "I'll never forget you." I rasp with the remnants of my voice. "You better try." My dad orders behind me. Both my parents try to drag me back into the house, but I refuse to move. Everything I love has been taken from me. Jughead. I choke on the pain, acknowledging my shredded throat. My face presses deeper into the concrete. "Betty, get the hell up!" The voice of my father explodes. He was my everything. Everything.