Chapter 10: Jughead - "I'm good at kissing too..."

The train bumps along the tracks. I sit with my hand in Betty's. This morning I made a promise to myself that I wouldn't try to hide my feelings for Betty any longer, and that I'd be a better, dare I say it, boyfriend. She reads all the signs when we pass them, as if she's never been on a train before. "So when was the last time you went on a train?" I ask. Betty turns slightly so that her face is perfectly opposite to mine. "I've never been on a train before..." She blushes. I place my spare hand on her cheek and smile. "Well then, has it been a good experience so far?" I prompt. Her head bobs up and down. "It's a little uncomfortable, but that doesn't matter because you're here." The corners of my mouth stretch out into a large grin. "You can snuggle into me if it's that uncomfortable..." I outstretch my arms. Betty accepts them, curling into me. Her touch makes me feel energised. "I'm gonna enjoy today." She yawns softly, closing her eyes. "Me too." I mumble.

The beach. A stretch of golden sand separating the promenade from the sea. Betty runs onto it, picnic basket in hand.  I listen to the gentle flap of her sandals as she runs and the relaxing whoosh of the waves. The bright blue sky is reflected in the water. I follow Betty. She sits down on an isolated spot next to the rocks. "I brought a picnic blanket and some food, but I've also got towels." Betty unpacks the basket. I take off my sneakers, then lay on the blanket. She removes her coral sweater to reveal a pastel blue bikini top. Her skin glistens in the sun, I study her curves. She's so perfect. "How did you know I like tuna mayonnaise and cucumber in my sandwiches?" I gasp. "Doesn't everyone?" She giggles. "Nah, I'm joking. Lucky guess." I laugh, shaking my head. "You're good at guessing." Betty looks deeply into my eyes. "I'm good at kissing too..." She bites her lip, then leans forward until our lips are touching. I wrap my arms round her waist, her hands on my cheeks. Betty breaks it to breathe, her lips soon rejoining mine. And in this moment, I wish it would never end.

"At least let the water lap over your feet!" She begs. I sigh heavily. Betty has me wrapped around her finger. "Fiine." I give up. She claps happily, slipping off her shorts, then wading into the sea. I groan, rolling up my jeans to a little under my knee and taking my beanie off. "Come on!" She screams over the water cheerfully. I step a little further. The water meets my feet. It's warm. "Don't be ridiculous! A little more." She pleads. I let out another sigh, finding myself further in the sea. The blonde rolls her eyes. Suddenly, a splash of water engulfs me. I wipe the seawater off my face. "Betty!" I yell. I hear her laughing, softening my frown. Without realising, I find myself deeper and deeper in the water, until it's up to my waist. She tries to swim away from me, but I grab her foot. She looks up, just in time for the wave of water to catch her. I try the hold the laughter in, but I don't last long.

The water fight was long, but fun. We sit on the picnic blanket, eating the food Betty has brought. My clothes are wet through, I've caught Betty glancing at my chest multiple times now. I'm not going to lie, I have been going on midnight jogs and working out at the school gym, but what else are you supposed to do when you're bored out of your mind? This has been the best day of my life.