8- Left

KrakenKid

(Part two of Tired)

I am cursed.

I didn't realized it until now, but I know for sure now that I am cursed, there is no doubt about it. Even worse, with one of the worst curse's of all.
The kiss of death.

The first time it happened, I thought it was just a tragedy. The second time, I had my suspicions but surely, it was just coincidence. But three times? In a row?

This had to be the work of a curse.

Either that, or I just got really unlucky.

Let's review.

I was very young, only a hundred or so years old, which might sound like a lot but believe me, for a kraken it's not. A civil war waged in Atlantis: Krakens versus everyone else. My mother loved me too much to let me stay at home unguarded, or even within the city at all, so she took me away. Far into the outskirts she carried me until we reached a series of caves, untouched by Atlantis' hands.

"Stay here." She ordered softly, finding a hidden spot within the caves for me to hide. I remember looked back at her, perplexed on what was going on. "Just stay here until I get back, okay?"

"Mommy..." I whispered as she left, getting her to turn around. "What's going on? I don't get it... Why is Atlantis attacking us? We didn't do anything wrong!"

Her eyes softened, but also flashed with an emotion I would only understand after I had a child of my own. A look of protection. "Atlantis doesn't trust us." She told me, caressing my cheek. "But it's okay, we're going to work it out. I'll be back, okay?"

She waited for my response, but I wasn't sure what to say. For what seemed like eternity, she waited. I always wondered if I never responded, would she have stayed? But finally, I found one word exiting my mouth. "Promise?"

She just chuckled, and smiled again. "I promise." She said, before kissing my forehead.

I wouldn't know it until I was older, but there was a lie in her voice. She knew very well she wasn't coming back, but she knew there was hope for me.

My father was more well known in Atlantis, so people knew of my mother. If they never saw her die, they'd search for her, and they'd find me. But me? Most didn't know about their son, KrakenKid, a runt of a kraken. My mother knew I would have the best chance at survival out of any of us.

So she left, and she died. All to Atlantis hands.

I would never see my mother again.

The second time was when I was much older and wiser, but this didn't stop me from making the same mistake twice.

I was running a criminal empire, going against Atlantis and everything it was. Many had joined me, but we were still pretty small compared to Atlantis so a full fledged war wasn't a good idea at the time.

I was recruiting people every day thought! More and more people saw what we did, and would join us! We were getting the hang of cloning, though we still had a long way to go, we were getting there. One day, a spirited Atlantean called Ena came to our door steps and proposed a duel to me/

If I win, she joins us, and if she wins, she gets to be a general and gets paid a ridiculous amount of money.

I accepted, and I lost.

I lost a lot of things to her, and one of them was something no one else had been able to get as close as she did before she came: My heart.

I fell for her, and I fell hard.