16- Sparks

Third Person
Professor Pikalus was not an emotional person.
Liar.

"You can't deny it forever."

Professor Pikalus was a mature person.
Yeah, right.

"Watch me."

Professor Pikalus didn't like to dwell on the past.
Keep telling yourself that.

"Please. Niall, please. I need you to do this for me."

Professor Pikalus wasn't the type to break apart and fall to pieces.
This isn't going to help you sleep at night.

"No... No, stop it, I can't do this, you can't-!"

All of the previous statements are true.
Nobody's believing you.

Nothing is wrong.
Nothing will change by saying this.

Professor Pikalus is perfectly fine.
He's still gone, Niall.

—————

Thirty Two Hours Until...

"You look like a dork, Cody." Pikalus snorted at the king. His shoulder rested against the arch opening that led into the young monarch's bedroom, green eyes half lidded and a smirk on his face.

"Excuse me, I think I look fantastic." Cody retorted, but the stifling laugh that was coming from him betrayed what he said. The penguin had a bright, red cape on, and his crown as well. Securing the silk cloth on, he put his hands on his hips and looked dramatically into the distance. Seconds later, his facade broke into a fit of giggles that brought the scientist down with him.

Pikalus cleared his throat when he started to settle back down. "What's up with the cape anyways? You're a penguin, Cody. You don't need to wear clothes like the rest of us."

The king just shrugged in response, still smiling. "Selena suggested it to me. Since most of the Overworld hasn't seen what the Atlantean King looks like, she suggested I should try dressing up for the part." With one hand, he tugged the cape off and threw it to the side of his bed. The crown, he was more delicate with, putting it on his nightstand. "I decided to at least humor her with it. So, that's a 'No' then?"

"More accurately a 'Hell no'," Pikalus corrected, still unable to hide the smile he wore. It was difficult to be serious when Cody wasn't, he always had a certain charisma about him that dropped Pikalus' guard. Though, not like he had any complaints. After working long hours on making sure the elevator to the Overworld would work properly, he needed a break like this. "Stuff like that never suited you much anyways. You don't need to look like a king. It's already your birthright."

"That's what I'm told." Cody nodded slightly, now preoccupied as he rummaged through his drawers, choosing what was or wasn't essential for the trip. "Before I forget, how's Kranky? I've been swamped with work, both required and personal. Haven't had time to check up and make sure he's still on our side."

"Same as usual. His son has been a handful but luckily Selena took him off my hands." Pikalus answered, mentally rolling his eyes. "Kraken himself has been a little irritated as of late but once we finally get up there, he'll probably calm down. Just been worked up with his end of the bargain, but his Illithids should be quite the asset on our side."

"Good, good." Cozy mumbled, pulling out a teddy bear and stuffing it into his suitcase. "Can't believe he actually agreed to work with us. I know it's almost been a month since the treaty but I still half expect him to try and stab me whenever we meet up."

Professor laughed at that comment. "Don't we all? I'm not exactly his favorite person either." Cody chuckled at that and the two were left in silence for a while. Cody continued to pack- something Pikalus told him to do a week ago and every day until now- but hey, who's keeping track?