15- Flowers

Little Note: Follows the main timeline with KrakenKid and Joe as co-rulers!
Also pretty tired so Editing might be terrible
—————————————————
Third Person
KrakenKid knew something was wrong when he stared at the petals in his tentacles.

His throat had been irritating him for the past two days. It didn't hurt exactly, but more just felt like something was stuck there.

Finally, in the dead of night, he dragged himself to the bathroom and tried to see if he could see it through the mirror. He resorted to coughing, trying to see if he could get it out.

He did, but then he was horrified. Petals soaked in blood. He didn't know what it was or how it got there, but he knew for sure that he didn't swallow and flowers anytime soon.

In fact, it was Joe who did that. They had been picking up supplies and groceries when they came across a soft orange flower with red accents. "Like a mango!" Joe called it.

KrakenKid remembered laughing at the comment. "Sure, just don't try eating it." He warned. Joe took it as a challenge and got a mouthful of petals before spitting them all out on the ground. KrakenKid didn't know why he laughed so hard, but he did. "You're such an idiot!" He repeated. Joe just gave a goofy grin in response, pleased with himself.

KrakenKid only coughed up two more petals just thinking of the memory. His heart quickened and he clutched the petals and bolted for the door.

He didn't stop until he reached the Atlantis Hospital. They gave him a strange look when he entered, but their eyes widened when he dropped the bloody petals on the front desk and called for a doctor.

Dr. Laurie Fin was the one to take a look at him. Her face was grim as she proceeded and eventually, she stopped. A deep sigh escaped her. "Hanahaki..." She mumbled under her breath.

"What?" KrakenKid sputtered.

She took off her glasses, rubbing her Temple. "The Hanahaki Disease. Haven't seen a case in years. I'll have to research the cures again, I'll call you back when-!"

"Wait!" KrakenKid stopped her, arm outstretched. "What is it? What are we dealing with? Did I inhale some sort of spore or eat something I shouldn't have?"

Dr. Fin gave him a sad look. She pitied him, but why? He didn't understand. "Nothing like that..." Her voice trailed off and she made her way over to the table he sat on, pulling up a chair and looking him deep in the eyes. His heart palpitated at how serious she was.

"The Hanahaki Disease isn't like any other disease you'll ever hear of. There's a flower growing inside of you. This flower will make you cough petals and eventually kill you when it blooms." She explained. The kraken only became more nervous. "It's only caused by one thing: Unrequited Love."

KrakenKid stares in shock. "Unrequited Love?" He echoed.

She nodded solemnly. "One sided love. You're in love with someone who doesn't love you back."

Dr. Fin released him to go home, telling him she needed to search for the cure and she'd call him as soon as she had it, and that the petals would keep coming.

For the life of him, KrakenKid has no idea who he was in love with.

He slept through the night, waking up a few times and coughing until his chest ached, but at least he could sleep. In the morning, he laid in bed and stared at the ceiling, thinking of everyone who he could've fallen for. He didn't know the answer.

Throughout the day, he hid his petals and threw them away, unsure if he wanted anyone to know he was sick. He found himself distracted, still trying to think, and yet nothing. Night was no better.