News One - Smoke in the Valley

"You are live with Cary Fast, embedded with MCSF Advanced Recon company. We progressed overnight to this position where we discovered an Anhillar guerilla encampment you can see below." The live feed switch to a drone which provided an overhead view showing the Recon company of 24 heavily camouflaged soldiers spread out along a ridge overlooking a valley. Below them nestled on the valley floor were 30-40 small linen-coloured shelters, possibly canvas, cone-shaped arranged in a haphazard circle. While the Recon unit was bathed in the golden, early morning sun, the valley was still in complete shadow. Several fires smouldered amongst the buildings, grey wisps of smoke curled up in the still morning air.

The feed cut back to the reporter, his snowy white hair stood out against his extremely tanned face. With the exception of a News One badge on his arm, he looked just like any other member of the Recon unit.

"I have with me here, Lieutenant Zeke Barton, leader of Advanced Recon. Explain the situation Lieutenant."

The camera panned to an ebony-skinned man with distinct, chiseled features and a broad nose. "We had orders to proceed overnight to new grid co-ordinates, because command had some intelligence on Guerillas moving through the area. Around 0300h we discovered this valley settlement we believe is a mobile Anhillar base. Heat signatures suggest around 150 enemy encamped down there."

"What next Lieutenant."

"Our orders are to continue to monitor the camp and advise of any movement. A mechanized assault brigade was dispatched and should arrive momentarily."

"Any idea what the assault orders are?"

"Eliminate the enemy."

"What can you tell us about the enemy, Lieutenant?"

"The Anhillar are a caste society, so we predominantly deal with the warrior caste, the Fiiks. What they lack in technological sophistication they make up in shear ferocity. The Red Sabre has be funneling weapons to the Guerrillas in recent years giving them both anti-air and anti-armor capabilities but it's the Akalladeen we really worry about."

"Who are they?"

"Anhillar spirit warrior caste, their most elite fighters. They are fearless, they always fight to the death and they carry that damned Korryn blade of theirs."

"What is so special about that blade? Wouldn't they be more effective with a shock cannon, or something like that?"

"They are more than enough effective with that sword, I've seen Akalladeen slice open an APC with a single slash. MCSF Research and Development has had a bounty on the Korryn for 15 years, but they always self-destruct when the bearer dies. And no Akalladeen has ever been taken alive."

A low rumble could be heard over the interview, the camera panned to show a rising column of dust in the distance.

"Looks like the Assault group is on time."

One by one, battle tanks and APCs began to materialize out of the dust cloud off in the distance. Eventually the Assualt group, some 48 units strong came to a halt and idled in the morning Sun. The Lieutenant's radio crackled.

"Omega Seven, this is Hammer Two-Two, statrep over."

"Hammer Two-Two, this is Omega Seven. We have approximately 150 hostiles in the valley to our immediate west, grid 44520014. We have not been able to confirm tactical, no sentries spotted."

"Okay Omega Seven, command has confirmed attack order, we are rolling on the encampment. Hold off until we engage the enemy and then provide fire support from the ridge line."

"Copy Hammer Two-Two, we will support from ridge line, over."

"Copy, Out."

The mechanized assault group began to roll forward again, forming a long echelon, the leading edge being the battle tanks. The low rumble became a continuous thunder as the formation picked up speed.