Chapter 1 - Announcing the crown

We're in the great room, me on Maxon's right and Kriss on his left. He hasn't said a single word to me not even a goodbye. I knew this would happen but it still feels like someone is tearing my heart to shreds. 

It's about 5 minutes later he finally looks in my direction to see me looking at Celeste as a guard with a red bandanna tied around his head aims his gun and shoots her. I don't even scream when she falls to the ground all I can do is stare is at Maxon and the way he looks at me they are full of love and for a second all I can think about is that maybe I have a chance, that maybe he still loves me but then I realize the queen is behind me and is standing in front of a rebel. He fires and then I find my voice at that same time Maxon does. But I see why there's a rebel guard standing right in front of the 3 of us. I hear Kriss whimper and I roll my eyes. The guard aims at Maxon's chest. I panic, the guard sees this and thinks it will be much more entertaining for him this way and aims his gun slightly left at me. I look at Maxon and he doesn't seem to care he's comforting Kriss. A silent  tear falls down my face as the rebel shoots me. I never have the chance to scream because the bullet doesn't hit me. It hits Marlee, I start full fledged sobbing.

Maxon proposed to Kriss exactly 2 hours ,14 minutes and 37 seconds after the rebel attack, not that anyone was keeping track. I sulk back to my room and the look in Maxon's eyes stops my sulking and I try to seem happy for Kriss. If only he knew she was a rebel, even though she said nothing serious that girl should not have the throne. I just knew something bad would happen. It was a gut instinct. Not like anyone would believe me.

Maxon's POV

America is crushed and I hate it. The moment the rebel pointed the gun at her I couldn't bare watch so I looked away. I could tell she was disappointed. It crushed me. I spent the rest of the afternoon locked in the prince's suite hiding from anyone and anything. At 2 in the morning I went down to the gardens to clear my thoughts and immediately saw someone at mine and America's bench. My first reaction was to go and yell at them but then I realized it wasn't our bench anymore I gave it up when I gave up America. Then I see that the figure on the bench was crying and then it took me another second to realize that figure was America, my beautiful America Singer. I shake my head and tell myself she doesn't belong to me anymore I chose Kriss, But I'm not sure that's really what I wanted to do. I go over to America and try to say something , but what do you say to the girl who's heart you just shattered?