Chapter 6 - Gone Forever

When I get back to my room Lucy is there. I immediately see she's crying. She sees me and straights and walks up to me silently and walks out my door without saying a word, I follow her to the hospital wing to see Aspen in a room, he looks... dead. Then it all hits me he is dead and that's why Lucy was crying. I don't like him anymore and I was mad at him but, he's just dead. 

"How?" is all I say and Lucy looks up at me tears threatening to spill out of her eyes. She silently says "Rebels" and that's all I need to hear to be running down the hallway and next thing I know I'm knocking on the door to Maxon's room before I can stop myself. I immediately start to turn around when a hand on my shoulder stops me. Maxon's hand, a hand that held mine during the selection, the hand I spent hours holding onto after my family was attacked in the selection, the hand the kept me sane. The hand that now holds mine while I sit on Maxon's bed and spill out everything that happened that he never knew about during the selection. The hand that squishes mine every time I talk about mine and Aspen's our foreign relationship. He holds my hand in his until I stop and tell his that Aspen's dead. Then he finally speaks and says three beautiful words "I love you" "But you can't." 

"But I do"

"I do too. But, I can't, it's forbidden"

"Who cares"

"The country, Kriss, pretty much everyone that exist and knows what it means."

"You always win don't you"

"I try"