A Short Rest and Over Hill

All of them grew refreshed and strong in a few days there. Their clothes were mended as well as their bruises, their tempers and their hopes. Elrond's house was perfect, whether you liked food, or sleep, or work, or story-telling, or singing, or just sitting and thinking best, or a pleasant mixture of them all. Or so Bilbo thought. He did not spend much time with the Dwarves, who he felt preferred their own company, so he was not aware of whether or not their initial opinion of the place had improved. Actually, the one he ended spending the most time with was Hannah, when she was not studying or tinkering with something. But when she was busy Bilbo found he had no problem at all with wandering the peaceful halls and gardens of Rivendell on his own. In fact, he quite enjoyed it.

It was on one of these occasions that Bilbo had the chance to speak personally with their gracious host. He had paused on a balcony over-looking the Valley to admire the splendid view, when he found himself being joined by the elf-lord.

"Not with your companions?" said Elrond.

"Uh, no, I... I shan't be missed. The truth is that most of them don't think that I should be on this journey," admitted Bilbo.

"Indeed? I have heard that Hobbits are very resilient," said Elrond. Bilbo let out a small chuckle, thinking he must be joking, but looking up at the elf-lord's wise face he was surprised to find that he was being perfectly serious.

"Really?" Bilbo asked. Elrond nodded.

"I have also heard they are fond of the comforts of home," he added.

"And I've heard that it's unwise to seek the council of Elves, for they will answer with both 'yes' and 'no'," said Bilbo in reply. For a moment the hobbit was afraid he might have caused offense as the elf-lord stared down at him, but then a small smile formed on Elrond's face.

"You are very welcome to stay here, if that is your wish," he told Bilbo, placing a hand on the hobbit's shoulder as he turned and left just as silently and mysteriously as he had arrived.

Unfortunately for Lord Elrond, not all of his guests were so well mannered.

"The kitchen is under enormous stain," said Lindir as they walked together, conversing in Elvish; "we are almost out of wine. How much longer do you think they will be with us?"

"That has yet to be decided," said Elrond. They both halted when they heard the sound of deep-throated laughter and caught sight of a rather disturbing scene. In one of their great fountains, out in the open where anyone might see, the Dwarves were swimming and roughhousing with each other, stark naked.

"Lord Elrond!" Hannah called, coming up behind the two Elves, carrying the watch she had been repairing for him. Her grandfather had taught her a bit about watchmaking, so she often put her skills to use for the Elves when asked.

"I've just finished... What are you doing, Mr. Lindir?" she asked, puzzled when she found the Elf's hands swiftly clamped over her eyes faster than you could say knife, sparring her the trauma of having to witness the sight of thirteen naked dwarf-men.

"I wonder..." he said, glancing at his Lord. This was starting to get ridiculous. Something had to be done.

"Is this a game?" asked Hannah curiously.

"Yes," said Elrond, taking the repaired watch from her hands. As usual, Hannah had done some very fine work. "It's called: Don't look until Lindir tells you to." And with that, Lindir began guiding her to a much safer area while still keeping her eyes covered. Elrond glanced down at the watch in his hand. It was time he had a talk with Gandalf.

Later that evening, Hannah was teaching Bilbo the names for some of the stars that the Elves had taught to her. She had just finished pointing out Eärendil when they heard Gandalf's voice below. They peered down over the railing of the balcony and saw that he was talking with Elrond in the courtyard below.