Chapter 15 | The Revelation

At school the next day, I can tell that things are tense. Everyone's ready to go home after getting their atrocious exam score—everyone except Alex who aced it. But no one seems more uptight than Lee.

Lee? Uptight? Clearly there's something wrong here.

Well, maybe Glory might be the exception. She's fidgeting all over the place, not looking at anyone. As far as I know, she and Troy haven't spoken since yesterday.

"Glory," I mutter under my breath. "What's wrong?" I've always been good at keeping a straight face, so I don't smile when I think about what happened yesterday.

But only just.

"Nothing's wrong. I'm just worried about my dad. He's in the hospital. And—" she breaks off nervously. "That's it."

Oh, Glory.

You were never a good liar.

The bell rings, and Ms. O'Carthy comes back into the classroom, shutting the door. "So," she says. "How was the party yesterday?"

Silence.

"It was absolutely great," Tyler answers her finally. "It was so fun. So fun."

Ms. O'Carthy, looking slightly confused, turns back to her desk and sits down. "Okay then. I'm glad you had fun."

"Oh, I had some fun," Lee mutters. "And I'm going to have some more fun today."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Troy hisses, but Lee simply shrugs him off. Apparently they aren't talking anymore.

"Why's Lee being so mean to Troy?" Alex asks, leaning back in her chair to be closer to Glory and I. "What did Troy ever do to him?"

She doesn't know about the dare.

"I don't know either," I lie, gritting my teeth as Alex leans forward again. "Let's just work."

I still don't understand why Lee said the dare was "cruel". I mean, why would it be cruel? It's nothing Lee hasn't done before, I'm sure.

I just don't understand.

"Well, class," Ms. O'Carthy calls. "By now everyone has at least colored their sketches of their shirts. Now it's time to actually begin your shirt designs."

Everyone in the class groans. Nobody wants to do any work today after the truckload of work in the other classes to prepare for the rest of the midterm exams.

"Now, I have to run an errand really quick, so I want you kids to behave." With those words, she stands from her desk and promptly leaves the classroom.

I pull a rumpled white T-shirt out of my backpack. Everyone in the class does the same, everyone except for Lee.

"I don't have mine," he complains loudly.

"I don't care," Troy replies, pulling his own T-shirt out of his backpack.

"No one was asking you, Troy," Lee spits back, collapsing back into his chair. I still don't understand why he's mad—so mad—at Troy.

"No one was asking you, either, Lee. No one cares that you didn't bring a stupid shirt."

The two glare at each other and Lee stands right back up again. Troy stands up, too, and he's easily at least three inches taller.

"Why don't you say that again," Lee hisses.

"No. If you were too dumb to understand the first time, I'm not going to repeat it for you," Troy retorts.

Beside me, Glory is rooted to her chair, staring at Lee and Troy, who are just having a glaring contest at the front of the classroom. All eyes are on the two boys at the front.

This is not going to end well.

For anyone.

"You mean to tell me that I'm the dumb one? At least when I kiss people, I have the brains to do it in secrecy. Not out by the water fountains where everyone can see."

Troy stopped, mouth half-open, blue gray eyes wide. "What did you just say?"

I turn to look at Glory, which is a mistake. Because she's looking straight at me and she doesn't look happy.

At all.

"I'm sorry," Lee mimicked him. "If you were too dumb to understand the first time, I'm not going to repeat it."

That was a mistake. Lee, you shouldn't have gone there. That was a mistake.

I know what Troy is going to say next before he even opens his mouth. And I'm dreading every word.

"Well at least when I kiss people, it isn't because of stupid dares." Despite everything, Troy breaks into his signature evil grin. "Besides, Lee, you and I both know that the dare wasn't—"

Whatever the dare wasn't, I never got to find out. Because Troy was interrupted. By Lee.

Because that's when Lee punched him.

Right in the face.

••••
oooh, this is going to be fun