Chapter 3

Merida have no idea what happened to her father and to his troops. She prayed for them to be safe. A few questions circled her mind, until she decided to scan the room and think for a way to escape. But with the two guards looking so attentive there were little chances of escaping.

The dungeon doors opened. Hiccup stood with a tray in his hands. He dismissed the two guards as he placed the tray on the floor, placing a bowl of porridge on her cell. He sat across Merida, the bars are in between them.

"Why are you here?" She asked with her thick scottish accent.

Hiccup's lips were tight shut, for a moment Merida stared at him but then shook her head. "Why did you bring me here?" She asked, turning back to her subject.

When the man did not answer her question, she exclaimed furiously, "Answer me!"

Merida was almost in tears when he finally spoke, "You have my mother." He answered. He looked up to her, his emerald green eyes were marked with anger.

"What?" Merida asked, rage started swelling up. "We did not take anyone from you!" She yelled.

    "Did you not?" Hiccup yelled which startled Merida. "Do you know why you're here?" When Merida did not answer, he continued.

"You're taken as a bait." Hiccup said coldly as he stared at the ground. "Once the king and queen arrived to save you, we will destroy everything." He raised his head to stare at her frightened blue eyes. He hesitated to speak, but continued, "Including you and your family."

Merida screamed with anger. Hiccup stood as the guards entered the dungeon. "Keep an eye on her." He whispered. The two guards nodded, standing on their positions.

"Let me out!" Merida yelled as tears rolled down her cheeks. "Mom! Dad!"

     She kept calling the king and queen, hoping that it would reach them. But she knew it can't.

***

Merida was busy thinking of a way slip past the guards. She can't easily escape without her bow that was taken away from her. She scanned the room for a another way to escape. The window was just right to fit her, but it was barred. She tried to take a peak and saw how high from the ground she was. Merida tried to pull the bars on the window, it creakedーwhich took the guards' attention.

The guards turned to see what she was doing. "Hey! Don't even try to escape. The dungeon was high from the ground. If you jump, you'll die. Hiccup and Stoik wants you alive." One of the guard said.

Merida draw herself closer to the guards. She stared at them, her eyes full of anger. "Tell that beast we don't have his mother! Let me out of here!" Her voice quivered as she speak, her legs trembled and her heart beating rapidly.

"That beast you called is the next chief of this land, he is the strongest of us all. You better show some respect!" The man said, pushing Merida away from the bars. She lost her balance and tumbled down, lightly hitting her head. It left a painful wound, but she stayed like that and grinned.