Chapter 14

"I came to speak with you about the case concerning my niece."

Lisa stood in front of Officer Peggy's desk wearing a red dress that ended at the top of her knees and had a rose pendent pinned to the top left corner of her dress. She had her hair in a bun and bright red lipstick on her lips. She sat down in the chair gently and stared at Officer Peggy. Officer Peggy gently closed her folder and folded her hands together.

"Go on."

Lisa sat her purse down by her feet and folded her hands together in her lap. She was quiet the first few minutes. She looked nervous about something. The way she moved around just showed she was nervous.

"My husband wasn't the friendliest man around. Everyone is well aware he hated kids." She looked down at her hands then back up at Officer Peggy. "He was harsh at times, but he was a good man."

"We are not saying your husband was a bad man. Everyone has had moments in their life where they made someone mad. We are concerned that your niece might target others who had done her wrong. So far, they all ended up dying."

"I was told about the affair my husband had. A part of me doesn't want to believe it, but then again, he had a lot of secrets I didn't know about. That's life, right?"

"A woman came forward, but we don't want to write it down unless we know for sure." Officer Peggy said.

Lisa looked at her. "I know that it's true. He may have loved me, but having a woman on the side kept him interested. We are both women. We know how these things happen."

"I have been married, so not really."

"Marriage is hard, but you have to work hard at it. Make it until you break it. My favorite quote. True in marriage."

Officer Peggy nodded really feeling sorry for Lisa. She was a woman who was so in love, so blinded to the fact that her husband was a cheating man. He was having an affair with another woman and she turned a blind eye to it. Now that he was gone, she was seeing the truth and she was hating herself for it. Officer Peggy saw it many times.

Lisa dug in her purse and pulled out a piece of paper with a name written on it. She slid it on the desk and gently pushed it towards Officer Peggy. She grabbed it and read the name. Barbie Madison.

"She might be the next victim. Emma mentioned to me once that she never liked that woman. She used to make Emma scrub her floors with a toothbrush if she did anything Barbie didn't like. She is Emma's aunt. An older lady of course, but still mean as dirt."

"And you are sure that Emma will be after this woman?"

"If what you say about Emma and these fires is true then Barbie will be next. Her son, Loyd lives with her caring for her since she can't barely get around. He can tell you anything you need to know. If Emma is burning homes, then getting them to safety might be your best bet." She stood up and grabbed her purse. "I love my niece and I feel all the sorrow and anger she must feel, but I hope that you can end this." She looked at the door then back at Officer Peggy. "Those girls didn't deserve what they went through. They were once good girls. Can you understand that? Anger can get the best of people. Make them do things they never meant to do. She has suffered enough and this might be the only way she knows how to deal. Not that it's right, but she knows no other way."

She left leaving Officer Peggy staring after her. Officer Moore walked up holding two Styrofoam cups with steaming hot coffee in them. He handed one to Peggy and looked after Lisa.

"What was that about?"

"I do believe we have our next victim. I don't want to waste anymore time. We better interview this woman before she loses her life."