chapter 5

Chapter 5 

(Brycen's POV)

We had been driving for about fifteen minutes when Luke turned to me and asked, "Why were you so mean to Jasey?" His question caught me of guard and i had to think for a minute about what the right way to answer him would be.

"What,  i wasn't being mean.." i said playing dumb.  

"Yes you were Bryce. You said that her puppy had.. had the.. umm what was that word you used?" He looked at me, his little eyebrows moving together in frustration. 

"Misfortune, little man. Her puppy has the misfortune of having her for an owner." I said through a smirk as i remembered the look on Jasey Rae's face.   

"Yeah, that's the word! And see! You were being mean. I'm not sure what that word means but when you said that, Jasey got real mad, Bryce. I think you should say sorry for hurting her feelings, it would make her happy." Luke was looking at me with a serious look as he tried to defend Jasey, a girl who in my opinion didn't deserve defending.

"Sorry little man but, shouldn't you be on my side?" i asked him with a fake hurt look on my face. 

"Well, we are brothers forever. I just.. mommy tells me that i should always defend a girl. It's what a gentleman would do and i want to be a gentleman." As Lucas explained himself to me i got a glimpse of the great man he was going to be one day, a better man then i would ever be. Made me proud to be able to call him my brother.  

"Well little man, i'll tell you what, i will try my best to be nicer to her when ever your around, okay?" 

"Okay, thanks Bryce!" And just like that all bad feelings toward me were gone. Good thing too, i don't think i would be able to handle it if he was ever mad at me for long. 

* * * 

(Jasey Rae)

Stupid man whore. That jerk. Who the hell does he think he is! 

I was angrily stomping up the stairs to Jake's apartment, Caleb hopping up behind me. I unlocked the door when i reached it and let Caleb in first before i stepped in and closed it behind me. 

I put my bags on the kitchen table and walked into the living room. I sat on the couch and pat the spot next to me signalling Caleb to join me. 

He happily jumped up on the couch and laid down next me, his head resting in my lap. 

"You don't think I'm bad to you, do you?" I asked Caleb as i scratched behind his ears. 

Caleb sat up and licked my cheek and then laid down on his back. 

"haha.. I'll take that as a no." i chuckled happily as a rubbed his belly. 

"Alright. Come on boy, lets go get you your dinner." Caleb barked and jumped off the couch, running into the kitchen ahead of me. 

I can't believe i let what that dumb jock said get to me. Looks like keeping the promise i made Jake might be harder than i thought.