Rosaline

Rosaline Pollock. A name that no one in Roseland would ever speak. I had noticed that it was that time again in the year that I must travel back to my home town and gather with my family for the celebration. A celebration that everyone loved to worship. The death of Rosaline Pollock.

Betty had just turned 21 and yet her parents still thought of her as their baby girl. She just couldn't understand why but she always knew that she was different and felt as if she was someone else. And there as she looked at herself in the mirror she knew she sounded crazy. But then right at that moment she had a gut feeling she will end up crazy if she didn't get ready to head on out. Now Betty knew what the celebration was all about. There was more to the story behind Rosaline Pollock's death.

Betty's parents had called the day before she was flying out to Roseland. Before Betty could have picked it up the power had turned off at the airport. She end up receiving a voice mail from her parents. "Hey dear, it's your parents. We just wanted to call you and wish you a safe flight and hope to see you real soon. We love you baby girl and I hope you won't ever forget that. Can't wait to see you my darling. Well we have to go now. Bye baby." One of the security guards took out a phone and told everyone to follow him to the exit. There was a shortage at the airport. Betty was upset and couldn't quite understand what her parents meant when they said "They hope to see me soon." But I know they knew I was coming, or maybe they had just forgotten that I was coming today. Well I couldn't stress it anyways I had other bigger problems then to figure out what they meant by that. Betty had figured that this flight wasn't going anywhere and had to figure out how she was going to get back home. She figured driving but it would take two days. The train was her best bet because the bus would take three days to get there. She didn't want to go home alone anymore and figured why not take the guy she's been hiding from her parents.

Mark a charming gentleman who really liked who Betty was and really didn't care on what others said about them dating. Mark and Betty got on the train to Roseland. They were about five hours away until they had arrived home. Mark had went to go get some food while Betty watched their stuff. Mark asked if she wanted anything but when he asked he noticed Betty wasn't acting herself. He figured it was that time of the month again and didn't want her to get upset about any little thing he asked her. So he touched her shoulder and said would you like anything for the food court. She said no and went back to staring out the window. He just quite couldn't put his finger on it but figure she will soon tell him what's going on.

It was already five in the afternoon and Mark just couldn't understand what was wrong with Betty. Betty turned to Mark and told him that she was worried about her parents. She couldn't understand why they left such a strange message. He told her it must of been a prank and just wanted her to be scared. She had always knew that they wasn't safe back home but didn't know exactly why. But then she had remembered something back when she was just a little girl. A story that her teacher once told her class about. One of her classmates asked about Rosaline Pollock and asked what had happened to her. The teacher wasn't really supposed to answer his question but figured since he asked they should know. The teacher then closed the door and told them to never speak of this story outside of the classroom. Mark asked her what exactly was the story about. She couldn't remember exactly what was told but knew bits and pieces of it.

One gloomy night there was this girl name Rosaline Pollock who lived at the far end of the river. One day she had went into her house right after she prayed to her gods. She had heard footsteps as she walked into her room but when she looked there was nothing there. She then turned off her lights and got into bed. Five minutes later Rosaline was found hanging from the towns statue with her legs cut off and her eyes in her hands. No one every found the killer or her legs until kids started ending up missing that exact day each year had passed. The exact same thing would happened to them but with each year that had passed the number of kids missing double. Mark started to laugh and told her that must of been the spooky story all the parents would tell their kids if they wouldn't behave right. But what Mark didn't understand is that everything Betty is telling him wasn't a joke. She had seen Rosaline before. She was too afraid to even tell her parents because she knew that they wouldn't believe her. Mark was the first she ever told but had regret telling him.

Roseland was finally our stop and I couldn't have been anymore happy of being here. Only because I was just steps away from seeing my parents who I haven't seen for over ten years. I knocked on the door, no answer. I knocked on it once more and called out to my mother. I called their phone but only heard it ring from outside. I had remember that their was a spare key in one of the rocks. I asked Mark to help me but he was too busy into his phone. I found it and put the key in. As I was getting ready to turned the door knob I was hit by something hard on my head.

I woke up to Mark yelling my name out. I couldn't really see where I was at the moment. I looked around and found myself inside my room but there was no one else with me. I heard Mark yell out for me even more and tried to get up but couldn't seem to move. I felt all numb. My mother walked in and told me everything will be alright dear that soon everything will be how it's supposed to be. Betty couldn't understand what was going on. Betty's dad took her and brought her downstairs where they can finish the ritual. Betty asked them where was Mark. They both looked at her and smiled. They walked out of the living room and brought in Mark. Only to see that he was working with them. He had told me everything was going to be alright. She felt betrayal, as if the man she met and been with for over two years just dumped her. "I thought she was a joke, a scary story that parents would tell us in order for us to behave." She yelled at Mark. He smiled and told her oh no dear it was never a joke. Matter fact my wife is so much alive. Everything you heard about her was all true. Betty could have only figured that they were part of some pack that brought back the dead. Only to look in the mirror and seen that she wasn't who she really was. She felt sick and dizzy. She dropped to the ground and started to shake. Her eyes rolled backwards and her body started to hover. They looked at her and seen that it was working. They all finally could rest now that their daughter and wife was finally coming home. Betty was no longer Betty any more. Rosaline Pollock had finally returned home.