iv.

DEVANTÈ.

I sat at the island, eating from the bowl of cinnamon toast crunch in front of me as I stared at the television screen that currently displayed the movie 'All About the Benjamins'.

You don't have a forehead... you have a five-head.

I chuckled at Mike Epps and his broad sense of humor, shaking my head as I ate yet another spoonful, chewing and hearing the door to Jackie's bedroom open. I scoffed, preparing myself for the attitude and lecture I knew she was going to give me. Here we go wit' the emotional shit. I was still upset about how last night went down but I wasn't the type hold grudges—Okay, I'm lying like a mothafucka' but that ain't none of yo' damn business. She came into view, walking from the hallway into the kitchen without speaking and going into the fridge. I didn't bother to say anything about her disrespecting me in my house because I knew it would only make things more annoyingly dramatic than they already were. Reluctantly putting my pride aside as she slammed the gallon of orange juice down on the counter, I spoke, "Good morning." She didn't say anything. Okay. Let's try this again. I purposely cleared my throat loud enough for her to hear, speaking in a higher volume than before, "Good morning!"

She paused her movements, pressing her lips together and closing her eyes briefly as she took a deep breath. Oh, hell. When she opened her eyes, she gave me the coldest glare and honestly, I founded it hilarious. What the hell did she have to be made at me about? I wasn't the one caressing my breastesses and shit. She gave me a tight smile, "Good morning, Perverté."

I kissed my teeth, laughing shortly after as I finished my last spoonful and got up from the stool, "Yeah, aight." I picked up my bowl and walked around the island, heading over to the sink and pouring the milk down the drain, rinsing out the bowl and leaving it there.

"Uh, I hope you know I'm not washin' that", she said with an attitude, gesturing toward the sink.

I shrugged my shoulders and began to exit out of the kitchen, "That's cool. Nobody said you had to."

"I'm just lettin' you know", she added, as if she was waiting for me to give her a reason to take her anger out on me that she had built up from last night. But I wasn't going to. If she had something to say, she can say it without my help. I remained silent, going to sit down on the couch and continuing watch the movie, not paying her any attention.

Women hate when you do that.

After minutes of silence between us, I could hear her stomp her feet and huff, seeing her pouting as she folded her hands over her chest in my peripheral. I smirked to myself only for that to be cut short once she picked up a pack of ketchup I had from takeout the other day, chunking it directly at the side of my face, "I KNOW YOU HEAR ME STOMPIN' MY FEET." I couldn't help but laugh, still in shock that she went to the lengths of actually throwing a fast food condiment at me.

"And? You could've been killin' a bug that came in or somethin'. You better leave me alone, lil' girl", I said, keeping my gaze on the television.

She began to storm over to where I was sitting, waving her hand in my face but I just moved my head each time she blocked my view. "DEVANTE!", she called out, as if her ashy hand wasn't enough.

"What, Jackie? Damn. I know you see me watchin' tv", I replied with frustration. I swear she behaved like a child sometimes. This is why my 'old ass' don't be trying to date young women. Exhibit fuckin' A. I slowly averted my attention from the screen to her and she stood there with her hands placed on her hips as she stared down at me, "Well? You gon' say somethin' or can I go back to ignorin' you?"