xi.

I HAD AWOKEN AND HAD BREAKFAST as I normally would, being led to the warden's office to have a little 'chat' before my release. I had been dreaming of this day for two years now, and man did it bring me joy to know that soon, I'd be seeing DeVantè again. I sighed, bracing myself for whatever lecture I was destined to receive as I entered the office to find the warden sitting down in his chair, feet propped up on the desk and legs crossed at the ankles.

"Ms. Baker. Please. Come in", he said with a smile, gesturing for me to take a seat in the chair in front of his desk and so I did, offering a tight grin. "I'm sure you're already aware of the basics of what I'm going to say so I'll just skip right to what you may consider...unexpected. I'm aware that you were here due to a murder case and pleaded insanity — and you may also think things will go back to normal for you once you are released, but they won't."

I furrowed my eyebrows, confused as to what he meant or what he was even talking about, "I don't get it..."

"There was a restraining order filed against you, Ms. Baker", he replied nonchalantly.

I scoffed and shrugged my shoulders a bit, "Okay? By who?"

"Donald Earle DeGrate, Jr. I believe that's the guy you're always talking about, right?", he inquired, concern evident in his voice.

He put a restraining order on me? Nah, that doesn't sound like him. That had to be one of his family members that talked him into it. He loves me. He wouldn't do that.

I decided to keep my cool, sure that this was some kind of test to stir up some anger within me to make me stay but instead, I just shrugged again, "Oh. Well, that's a bummer. Guess it's over between us then."

Far from over. But I won't let him know that. If DeVanté thought he could keep me away with a piece of paper, he had clearly forgotten who I was.

He studied me for a while, trying to see if I was being sincere about my carelessness and soon enough, he sat back in his chair and he exhaled then gestured toward the door, "Alright, Ms. Baker. You're free to go."

I thanked him and quickly left the office, going to the front desk to grab my belongings from the staff members before heading out of the asylum that had kept me away from the love of my life.

I knew that no one would be waiting for me or there to pick me up. That was to be expected. They were all jealous of me and DeVantè's relationship. Both of our families, that is. They did whatever it took to separate us and it just so happened that calling me 'crazy' did the job.

Typical.

I've missed two years with him because of false accusations and over-exaggerations. Hell, if it wasn't for me, DeVantè wouldn't have been getting better with his mental health. Yet I'm the crazy one? Ha. Yeah, okay. If you ask me, it seemed like his family wanted him to remain in the condition he was in so they can make him feel like he's below them when really, he's better than all of them. Always has been. He needed me. And I bet it showed while I was away.

With the little amount of money I had left in my wallet from the day I came, I used it to catch a taxi toward his side of town. I was willing to travel as many miles necessary to get to him. He was my home, as far as I was concerned.