Chapter Thirty: Part Two

HI IM 15 MINS EARLY YAY

Please read this first before you proceed: This chapter will be a series of flashbacks, basically a trip down Ethan's memory lane. I didn't italicise everything because I didn't completely deviate from the current time frame. I intentionally put very minute and subtle details of the present. This is basically a story-telling of those flashbacks, not the flashbacks themselves, if that makes sense. Moving on, the major setting takes place about 13 years ago when Ethan was 13 (Ethan is 26 at the present time in the story) but his thoughts will also briefly take you years prior, right where the fall started.

Just a warning- this chapter is very depressing and very full of angst. I apologize for the depressing, stressful content, but Ethan's back story has always been a withstanding element of this book and I've never once thought of changing it. I've crafted his character and this book all throughout bearing his story in mind. Hopefully this update will enlighten you guys as to why Ethan is the way he is; I've both anticipated and dreaded writing this to be honest, but while I admit that this really challenged me, I cried, I had to take breaks because my heart was beating too fast, things like that- I enjoyed writing it so I'm really really hoping that my readers also enjoy reading it. Each word has to be read and felt so please try to read everything instead of skimming through the chapter (I tend to do that when I get excited lmao);; that's all.

P.S Listen to music for full effect... or not sjdjd why am I destroying souls at this ungodly hour

now read along, fam;; g..good luck.

Chapter Thirty: Part Two

Ethan should have known it.

The day was gloomy- gloomier and darker than the previous days which was a feat, because that was just how it had been lately, dark and blanketed by a sense of doom.

Ethan only knew of wars from history classes. They said it was torturous, living the days as if just prolonging the inevitable deaths.

The clouds were dark and too heavy to let even a ray of light stream in, and the air was always cold and stiff with fear. Nothing much made sense. It was as if they were living on a haze, fighting an enemy they couldn't see, and all of them would just be forcibly woken up to face reality by another news, by another burial and another and another after that, until there were no more tears left and until emotions have been worn and torn to the point of dysfunction.

It was as if the heavens were punishing them.

Ethan had been eight years old when it happened- the fall. He hated when people called it that. It wasn't a fall. It didn't happen in a second, not in a day- it was constant hell and despair for the longest five years of his life.

They said another angel had been born, but Ethan didn't really care. He cared about the crying parents, children being raised in hopelessness instead of warmth. However, some people talked too much and Ethan couldn't help but hear-- that this angel's existence on earth was so great that nature had to balance itself by eliminating natural predators.

He didn't know whether it made sense to him at such a young age. But at some point in that five years, he remembered cursing fate and cursing the heavens for being so unfair, for being so cruel on people who have done nothing wrong.

So what if an angel had been born?

Why did they have to suffer for something they didn't choose?

Did they choose to be born as wolves? Why couldn't they live like the rest, without worries and without bracing themselves for an impending hurricane? What wrong have they done the world that they had to be doomed for just existing?