Chapter Twenty-One

Jane continued working until Danny texted lunch was ready. She ran into Val, who'd finished putting doors on the kitchen's upper cabinets. After glancing several times towards the back bedroom, he signed, Where's P?

"I don't know. He ran off again."

Why? Val signed with a grin.

Jane shrugged. "We discussed religion. And sociology and philosophy. I'm better off asking about his dead dog." Val chuckled, and Jane added, "He said some interesting things about you, though." Val perked up at this, so as they walked across to the apartment, Jane repeated Prett's story about Val's descent into muteness. "He wants to know why you were mad at him." Val signed something Jane didn't understand, so he sent a text.

          He's deflecting.

"What do you mean he's deflecting?"

          Telling my past tales instead of his own.

"Maybe so, but he still wants to know why you were mad."

Val shook his head.

          I was young and stupid.

"That isn't an answer."

          It is an answer. Just not the one you want.

"Got that right," she said. "Why did you stop talking?"

          I stutter.

"There's more to it than that, according to Prett."

          He's deflecting.

Jane sighed. "Fine. What did Danny say to Cadence that made him stop talking?"

          Something uncivilized.

"You won't tell me that, either?" Val shook his head. Jane started up the apartment staircase. "You're as obstinate as Prett." She stopped to view him eye-to-eye. "Say, this means, 'I love Prettamin', right?" Val nodded at the signed words with a questioning look. Jane breathed a sigh of relief. "Good. Because I told him you said that, and he dropped and ran. Made me think I-" She stopped short at Val's sudden panicked expression.

          U told that

"I signed it. I thought maybe-"

Val squeezed past her and took the stairs three at a time. With confusion, she followed, but her short legs couldn't match his strides. By the time she reached the kitchen, Val and Danny were engaged in an animated conversation. Danny checked his phone, shaking his head. Val started a text just as the front door opened. Relief washed over their faces, and then, as if nothing had been amiss, Val leaned against the counter while Danny pulled glassware out of the cupboard. When Prett entered the kitchen, Jane opened her mouth, but shut it when Val shot her a warning glance. The latter acknowledged Prett with a nod, signing a question.

"Went for a walk. Checked on Aunt Dona." Prett swept his hand at the empty breakfast bar. "You didn't eat it all, did you?"

They helped Danny finish getting lunch on, the younger brothers' concern over Prett's disappearance seemingly forgotten. Once again, the men carried on a signed conversation. "Val has to open the grave this afternoon," Prett explained to Jane. "I'll help him." Val didn't like this arrangement, for he kept pointing to Danny, who nodded in agreement. But Prett shook his head. "No, I'll help you. Vel can work on the cabinets." Danny argued why he couldn't, and Prett replied, "Then you can help Miss Jane paint." Danny disliked that prospect. Prett shrugged. "Suit yourself." He glanced at Jane. "Looks like you're on your own this afternoon."