Chapter Ten

An enticing aroma greeted Jane and the brothers upon entering the latter's apartment. Jane helped set the dining table with bowls and spoons, while Danny carried in a crock of stew, and Prett brought a platter of cornbread muffins with a jar of jam. Val held out a chair before sitting next to her.

"I'll pray," Prett said. He reached out his hands and each brother took hold of one. Val held his other hand to Jane. This is uncomfortable. Danny stretched his hand across the table. Oh! Holding hands with Danny!

"Father Jesus, we thank you for this day, this food, our family and friends, and our blessed lives. Amen." The men let go. Oh. I thought we'd hold hands longer. Jane pulled her arms from the table. Hush. And stop blushing. "There's bread and peanut butter," Prett said to her, "if you find this slop inedible."

"It smells great," she said. "You made this, Danny?" He nodded as he filled her bowl.

"What did you put in it?" Prett asked. "Venison?" Danny shook his head. "Squirrel? Rabbit? Possum?" Danny shook his head at each one, grinning. "One of Miss Dona's cats went missing the other day..." Danny laughed.

Looks like beef stew. Jane blew on a small piece of meat. "Definitely beef," she said, after eating it.

Prett twitched his head. "Cat meat can fool you like that." His brothers chuckled.

"You've never eaten cat," Jane challenged.

Prett raised his eyebrows as he contemplated his bowl. "I don't know." He looked across at Val. "Ole Rufus fed us all kinds of mystery meat, remember?" Val nodded. "But I was always too hungry to care." He stared at Val a little longer, his eyes glazing as though lost in memory. His face took on a troubled expression. He returned focus to his bowl and said no more.

"Well, this tastes awesome," Jane said after eating a few more spoonfuls. Val nodded in agreement. Danny thanked them before turning expectantly to Prett.

"I concede I've never had a better cat stew. So, who's heading out with me tonight?" Val shook his head and signed an explanation. "You, Vel?" Danny looked a little sheepish as he replied. "I figured as much. Guess it's you and me for the rest of the night, Miss Jane."

"Doing what?"

"Deliveries."

"Deliveries? I thought you were done."

"Those were donations. What's left are Christmas gifts. Much more fun."

"Oh." She turned to Danny. "Why aren't you guys going?"

"They need to plow the streets now that it's stopped snowing. Actually–let me clarify–Val needs to plow. Vel just wants to play in the snow with tractors." Danny nodded, grinning.

"Why do you need to plow?" Jane asked them.

"Val works for the village; plowing roads and mowing ditches and such."

"I thought you all worked for Mrs. Gingery."

"That's mostly me," Prett said.

"Doing what?"

Prett shrugged. "Little errands. This and that. The biggest thing is renovate her hotel." He took a bite of muffin.

"And manage her money?"

Prett stopped chewing for a moment, and Jane thought she saw a flash of anger cross his face. But he swallowed, and said lightly, "I should have made you stay in the truck instead of letting you get an earful from Bubblegum Barbie." He took a long drink of soda and picked up his spoon to resume eating. Danny signed to him. When that didn't elicit a response, Danny kicked him. "Yes," he said with slight annoyance. "I handle her finances, too."