Chapter Thirty

Jane poked around in the half-empty fridge before settling on an apple and peanut butter and jelly sandwich. This was Prett's week to cook, which meant frozen pizzas, boxed mac-and-cheese, and canned soups. But that was dinner. Breakfast and lunch were fend-for-yourself meals, and the pickings were slim now that the week neared its end. Jane had worked alone for most of that, for the men had returned to grouting tile. She missed Prett's company though she worked faster without the distraction of conversation.

Prett had a lunch meeting with A.J. Marquis, and Val was eating with Dona, so Jane's only companion this noon was Danny. She had just assembled her sandwich when he entered the apartment. He gave her a nod before digging around in the freezer compartment.

"Hey, that's not fair!" Jane exclaimed when he pulled out a container of homemade soup. "How'd I miss seeing that?"

Danny grinned. I hide, he signed.

"Is there any more?"

Danny shook his head as he stuck the container in the microwave.

Jane sighed. "Well, we only have tomorrow to suffer through and then it'll be your turn to cook again, right?"

Danny shook his head and signed, V.

"Val? His turn was last week."

Danny signed, Sick.

"So because he was sick he has to make up for it? Is that fair?"

Danny nodded.

"How's his cooking?" Between the holiday meals and Jane's illness, she hadn't yet had a sampling.

Danny tilted his hand back and forth.

"But better than Prett?" Jane asked with hope.

Danny shook his head.

"In other words, get used to frozen dinners." Jane sighed. "And peanut butter and jelly." She took a bite of her sandwich before sitting at the breakfast bar.

Danny joined her with his heated soup and two bowls.

"Oh, you don't have to do that," Jane said when he dished out half for her. But he wouldn't be dissuaded, so she offered him half her sandwich in exchange. They ate in silence a few minutes. Then Danny sent a text.

          Thanks for trying with Cady.

He gave a wan smile.

"I'm sorry I haven't been much help there," Jane replied. "And I'm sorry for being so harsh the other night. But you really are an incorrigible flirt."

Danny smirked and gave a nod.

"The truth is," Jane continued, "Cady doesn't think she's pretty enough for you. Because of her scars."

Danny scowled. He pointed to Jane, then to his eyes before motioning his hands down his torso.

"But has she seen your scars?"

Danny shook his head.

"And besides, you can hide yours." Jane touched her cheek. "She can't."

I don't see, Danny signed.

"What don't you see?"

He sent a text.

          Her scars. I don't see them anymore.
          I just see her. She's beautiful.

Jane's eyes welled up at this touching admission. "Have you told her that?"

Danny shook his head.