nineteen

My head was pounding when I woke up. I opened my eyes slowly, but the black spots dancing around my vision, making me dizzy made me shut them tightly again. 

I felt my stomach twist as I realized I couldn't move my arms and legs in any direction, and my eyes shot open in a panic as I struggled against the bonds. I realized I was tied, my arms and legs apart in a spread eagle fashion, my head resting against cool, hard metal. 

There was a crunch to my right, and my head turned to spot a pair of clean, polished oxfords standing on the gravel between the two train tracks I was tied to.   

"What's going on?" I breathed, and hands pulling on the rope digging into the skin of my wrists, "Who are you?" I demanded as the figure stepped away from the tracks, into my direct line of sight. 

"This knife can save your life, Charlotte," said a voice.

A chill ran down my spine as and I recognized the Eastern European accent, but now with an American slur. 

"What?" I asked, my breathing accelerating as I heard the distant honk of a oncoming train, the glow of its headlights flooding the tracks. 

"My employer's got two questions for you," the waiter raised his voice over the shaking hum of the train tracks, as I tried more frantically to wrench myself loose from the bonds, "What the fuck is Kingsman? And who the hell is Harry Hart?" 

"I don't know what you're on about!" I screamed at the top of my voice as the honking became louder. 

My eyes flashed around frantically, looking for a way out of this nightmare.  They stopped on the waiter's hand, where he held a small dagger whose blade shone in the light. On the bottom of the blade, a small symbol in the shape of a K. 

My eyes flashed back down to his shoes, and the realization hit me. 

I took a steadying breath despite the now earsplitting honking from the train, and let out a laugh.

"Oh, this is brilliant!" I congratulated the waiter, who seemed puzzled at first, before snarling.

"Is Kingsman really worth dying for?" 

"Nice line," I snorted, "I'm gonna go with yes," 

I shot a smirk in his direction and squeezed my eyes shut as the train approached me. There was a deafening roar, and I felt my hair swept away by a strong gust of wind. 

It was over as soon as it had started, and I opened my eyes with a breath as the platform I had been tied to rejoined with the tracks. 

Opposite me stood Harry. 

"Oh Harry!" I said with sarcastic surprise, "Fancy seeing you here," 

He let out a small chuckle. 

"Alright alright. How did you know?" he asked me.

"Your shoes," I said, and he looked down at his feet. 

"What about them?" he asked, puzzled, and I smirked. 

"They're Oxfords, not Brogues,"