Chapter 9

CHAPTER 9:              --Present--                               …………………………………………..

The sound of the thunder woke me up. I never really liked thunder. It reminded me of things that are cold and scary. Every lightning and thunder storm I have been in so far I had special people to comfort me.

When I was just six years old my mom would sing songs with me so I would forget that there was a storm outside anyway. My dad would make me fight my fear of thunder, although it never worked, I knew he cared. He would make me stare out our window and watch the rain pour down onto the other houses and trees.

Julie taught me not to be afraid of dancing in the rain. As I said, I knew Julie since I was just four. Our parents would have dinner together, but mostly break into stupid arguments which made Julie and I to come to a conclusion of not bringing both our families together.

Every time it would rain I would just stay inside not daring to go outside and getting wet, until Julie came over one day and dragged my ass out in the rain and told me to dance under it. Man, it was nice and fun, having the rain pound onto my face.

Lastly, after I was having a hard time with everything; my parents fighting with me and not accepting our marriage, kicking me out the house and Julie’s death. Lucas became my only comfort. He would make me lean against his chest in front of him as he would wrap his arms around me from the back, lying on our bed. All he would do is talk. Just talk. He would talk about anything, like; stories of his childhood in this slow and soft voice which he knew would make me fall asleep; no doubt. He knows me very well.

However, now I have no one. I found a place to stay in a basement of some old lady’s house. She was aware that I was pregnant, so she checked on me a lot of times. At least I knew she was one person to care.

I felt hungry so I pulled my cozy turquoise blanket off. Although my favourite colour isn’t turquoise, I had bought this blanket because it was the colour of Luc’s eyes. It was old and worn out but it was so comfy and cozy.

I walk to the kitchen and open the refrigerator door. There is barely any food since I didn’t really go out to buy any. Lucas was there to do that. I know I sound like I was totally in love with that guy, and maybe the right thing for me to do is move on since it’s probably a bad idea to stress in this condition.

But how am I supposed to erase those memories that mean so much; the memories that flash before your eyes, replaying those moments when life was wonderful and make you think of that one person that fixed everything when nothing was right. Yeah, that was Lucas. That man who made one mistake and ruined both of our lives. I don’t know how he’s doing without me but I know I’m torn. He should’ve thought about what would happen if I caught him kissing a girl.

I shake away his face from my eyes, maybe moving on is the right thing. I grab a bottle of apple juice. The bottle was less than half; it was like 4 sips when I poured it into my glass.

Just when I took a sip of my juice there was a knock on my door. It was 11:30 at night, it might be the old lady; Mrs. Hobble. She is short, with a little hump on her back and a bob cut filled with grey hair, although she was still in her late 50’s.

I leave my glass on top of the table and walk toward the door. I twist the knob, it’s hard to open the door which is normal since the basement is pretty damn old, and so the door usually gets stuck. Right now this was all I could afford. This reminds me of the time Lucas and I were stuck in the storage room.

I let out a giggle and smile as I open the door a bit. It wasn’t Mrs. Hobble instead it was a tall guy with green eyes and spikey black hair. I could make out his face. Something about his eyes, his green eyes were familiar and then it hit me.