6

aaliyah- rock the boat

chapter six

after thinking about it for a long time, ayana and I had come to the decision that we should take enais to her first house party.

we knew taking her to a club would be a long hassle as that would involve giving her a fake i.d .

not that I think anyone would ask as she could easily pass for a 18 year old.

plus that would involve us having to keep her safe around adults who were drinking and also making sure that ayana and I didn't drink either.

so that was just too much effort.

house parties were better as high school students always had them anyway. except, we were inviting her to our university one. it was being hosted by reon dawley. he was well-respected in our university and everyone got along with him so who could be better than him?

we had picked enais up from her shift just now and so were on our way to my house. ayana's parents were having some dinner with her neighbours so her house wasn't available.

"you like this kinda music?" ayana asks enais who was bumping her head in the back to the beat.

"yeah, I dig this kinda music." enais replies.

I kept my eyes focused on the road but was listening to their conversation at the same time.

they were talking about some lil uzi song which didn't appeal to my ears at all.

"trash." i mutter to myself.

"lil uzi is talented." enais says.

"everyone's entitled to their own opinion." I grin.

"push me to the limit..." enais drifts off and sings along whilst I mentally block the song from my ears.

we finally arrive to my house and surprisingly lizzie and my mom were at home.

"mom, ayana's here." I say as we enter the kitchen. ayana runs over and hugs my mom .

"hey delilah." ayana kisses her on both cheeks.

mom allowed ayana to call her by her name.

"hey pretty." mom smiles. "your nose has healed well."

"I know right. it suits my face." ayana agrees.

mom nods her head politely before noticing enais'.

"and who is this pretty young thing?" she walks over to enais and touches her curls. "nice to meet you."

"hello, i'm enais." enais looks down at her shoes shyly as she replies.

"enais." mom repeats. "you haven't told me about this one?" mom says looking at me.

"oh yeah, I only met her like two days ago. she works at the library now. she's 15. isn't she pretty?" I reply.

"yeah, she's gorgeous." mom gives enais a hug. "wow you have very grown up features for a girl your age."

enais just continues looking down not knowing how to respond, laughing to hide her shyness.

"she's shy." I mouth to mom. mom's eyes widen and then she nods her head before leaving enais alone.

"ayana, my lil bitch." lizzie runs over and pulls ayana into a hug.

whenever these two link up they're always gossiping about stupid stuff. last time it was about some new brazilian weave.

"your nose." lizzie points out. "it's so cute."

"thanks girl." ayana grins.

"these curls though, i'm thinking of getting some weave like this. " lizzie touches a strand of ayana's voluminous curly hair.

"lizzie, this is enais." I mention.

lizzie's hand drops from ayana's hair and her eyes immediately fall on enais. I wasn't exactly sure what lizzie was thinking, but her eyes were so wide.

"this is the 15 year old you was telling me about last night?"

I nod my head.

"damn, you are cute. your hair aswell. man you guys just got all these poppin' curls. hey sweetie." lizzie hugs enais as if they had known each other for a long time.

"hey." enais loosens up a bit and hugs lizzie back.

"you could be those instagram famous girls." lizzie says. "like, deadass."

"you think so? " enais asks, smiling.

"uh-huh honey."

everyone laughs at lizzie's response and mom just rolls her eyes.

"mom where's vanessa at?" I ask.

"yoga class ."

vanessa wanted to be so in touch with her soul that we actually started to wonder if she's erykah badu's long-lost daughter.

"her and that damn yoga." lizzie grumbles .

"atleast she's doing something positive than going out to clubs like some of ya'll." mom responds, trying to throw shade at me and lizzie.

"if it ain't directed it ain't respected!" lizzie jokes.

"yeah, throwing shade ain't gon' make you shine ma."

enais and ayana stifle a laugh. mom slit her eyes at lizzie and I .

"do you see this enais? my two oldest daughters are always bullying me."

enais laughs , feeling sympathetic for mom. lizzie and I just dap each other, not even bothering to listen to her weak acting.

"but foreal, where are you girls taking this little 15 year old?" mom questions.

"to a house party." ayana answers.

"aslong as it's safe then i'm sure it's fine for her to go. keep her away from alcohol. please remember she's still in highschool." mom warns ayana and I .

"yeah of course." I reply. "okay, we're going to get ready now momma."

"it was nice meeting you." enais speaks, hugging my mom.

"aw, you too honey." mom smiles.

"i'm doing your makeup." lizzie says to enais. "you have to let me do it, i'm a professional mua and i'm doing it for free."

"really?" enais asks in surprise.

"yes, now come on. let's get you dolled up.

ayana, liz, enais and I all walk upstairs whilst mom looks on with a smile until we're finally out of her gaze.