Chapter 3

Elizabeth's P.O.V.

The room was alive with the sounds of laughter and chatter.

I gulped uncomfortably, moving a bit closer to Trevor as we approached the staircase.

"It's going to happen, I'm going to die," I whispered, "I'm not even going to make it past the stairs in these dumb things,"

He looked down to where I was glaring and chuckled.

"You know, glaring at them won't make them suddenly disappear," he informed me sarcastically, and I turned my glare to him.

"Trevor Noren, now is not the time," I warned him.

"Oh, it's always the time to make fun of your irrational fear of heels," he laughed.

"AGAIN, it's not irrational!" I cried, "these things kill an average of 350 girls per year,"

He rolled his eyes.

"Babe, I love you, but you need to stop," he shook his head.

"Carry me," I fussed.

"You and I both know that's not going to happen," he informed me, "but I'll give you a piggy back ride after we escape tonight,"

I grinned up at him.

"Deal," I squeezed his hand, and he winked at me.

"Good," he nodded, "and besides, after tonight, we will have the rest of our lives for me to carry your butt around,"

The grin fell from my face, and I began to nervously chew my lip.

He noticed the change and stopped on the stair in front of me, turning to face me.

"What's the matter Lizzie?" He asked softly.

"What if we aren't?" I murmured worriedly.

He took both my hands in his.

"I'm not worried. I know we will be mates, we just have to be," he shrugged, "you can't get rid of me that easily,"

I smiled a bit, and he kissed my fingers.

"C'mon, let's go mingle, we've got about half an hour left," he pulled me gently down the stairs, and I followed with a huff.

"I don't get why we needed to do this party," I grumbled, "I just want to nap,"

"This is more for your mom than for you, sorry to tell you," Trevor chuckled, "she's putting you on display,"

"Figures," I huffed grumpily.

"Oh hush, you like all these people," he rolled his eyes.

"Yes, but I'm still sleepy, and I'm also hungry," I informed him, "I want to handle that before I do anything social. You know how hangry I get,"

"That I do," he nodded, "we will talk for a bit then after we find out we are mates, we will go get food,"

"You beautiful boy, you read my mind," I smiled contently.

"Yes, I am quite beautiful, thank you for noticing," he flipped imaginary hair, and I laughed.

"Shut up, I can't take you anywhere," I elbowed him gently.

"LOVE BIRDS!" Someone shouted in our ears, and I jumped, almost punching whoever it had been,

"Jax, you dumb ass," Trevor growled.

"JAX! You scared me," I pouted.

He shrugged.

"Your problem, not mine. Besides, how can I not be loud?" He rhetorically asked, " two of my best friends are about to find out they're mates,"