Chapter 14

Ashley

I paced around the adequate sized room grazing my thumb with my teeth. I was starting to fret about everyone's well-being. After everything that's happened, it amazed me. Frequently, my eyes would go to the clock, seeing that only a few seconds had passed and restart the sequence anew. 

That was until I was struck with a rigorous force against the furnished chamber which obstructed that. 

I studied Michael who held an arm over my collarbone near my neck, utter sinister expression on his face but in his eyes, I could comprehend a startled kid, much like myself. After all, he was still a kid, and no one even mentioned what was happening until now. I didn't struggle, I let him get on with it. 

"If I had a dollar for every time someone harassed me..." I grinned to myself. He crushed me against the wall to draw my attention. My orbs met his unwillingly. 

"What were you doing with David that night?" He interrogated, Officer Michael Emerson.

It was evident that this very concept had been keeping him up at night. I mean who could blame him? The same girl from the night he turned into a vampire all of a sudden showed lots of interest in his baby brother? No wonder he was tired. It all looked too suspicious for me to avoid.

"I live there, well lived" I revealed feeling myself tearing up at the sudden realisation. I looked downward and felt his glare melt gradually. There was silence as he removed his arm. 

"Are you one of them?" He investigated earnestly widening his eyes for effect. Let's say it was working. Sweat made my hands glide. I felt like a waterpark. 

"I'm not a vampire" I reassured him widening my eyes too. He backed away and sat on the bed looking at Star with determination. A determination to accomplish what?

"Why didn't you tell me what I was drinking?" He asked shaking his head at me. His voice soft as if he was disgusted by me, baffled. 

"Why didn't you tell me your brother and his friends were gonna kill Marko?!" I roared back wailing. My face sank in my hands and my knees to the ground. 

"Ashl-" He began. I didn't want to hear it. No pity. No pity. 

"I don't want anything from you. I guess I deserve it right?" Gazing up at him, feeling my face grow moist and my head grow fuzzy. 

He neared me and made his chest accessible. I accepted feeling all the outrage and grief I had left within of me spill out onto his grey shirt. I clutched it in my fists and didn't even question why I had felt so content with substantially a stranger. 

"I'm sorry," He spoke sincerely stroking my hair near his head. I breathed into his chest. 

"No, you're not," I replied genuinely, clearing the tears and the sorrow in my throat. 

"Yes, I am" He debated giving me that look a parent would give to a defiant child. 

"No you're not, you would've done the same given the chance and that's okay. What they did to you was unforgivable." I frowned at first at the truth. A knowing look appeared on Michael's face, he didn't even have the words to answer, except;

"You're a smart kid" He grinned looking at me a little. He was reminiscing his brother into the wooden floor. 

"Sam likes that but the only thing he cares about is MTV" He joked. I chuckled a little then quit. 

"Yeah, I don't think that's gonna happen anymore"I trailed off, getting up with a grunt from the pain I still felt. You can't expect injuries to rid that easy. This wasn't the movies. 

"I understand that and I know you don't believe me but they were up to no good. You're better off. You'll understand sooner or later." He told going back to Star. 

"And what if I don't?" I challenged gravely. 

A moment to think. 

"Then I'll make sure Sam explains it better than I do." 

La Cucaracha or at leats that's what it should've been, played and slamming commenced downstairs. Michael and I share a look before bolting towards the racket. 

Windows were being shut, fires were being lit, garlic was being demolished, bathtubs were being filled. All while I stood near Star and Laddie. Michaels fearful thoughts gaze out of the window, far away. 

"They'll be coming for Ashley and me won't they?" She claimed. Michael stood still stroking the translucent drapes. 

"They'll be coming for all of us" He replied huskily, sleep-deprived. He wandered away and Star followed him with her concerned eyes until they met mine. I just shrugged. 

"If I don't make it, I just wanted to say that you were the best sister, only sister, I'd ever had" I rambled, staring out of the window to the sunset feeling the nerves in my stomach escalate at the setting sun. 

"You'll make it. You're the strongest one, they'll never hurt you" She said with a hint of sadness in her voice. It sounded to me as if she didn't believe her own words, I didn't believe them either. 

-----

The room was dark. The fire blazed putting a light in our way as we squatted around a table. I looked around, observing the soon to be catastrophic living room. It was sure to be hell, whatever the outcome. 

" I think I should warn you all" Edgar started as if he was about to tell a ghost story around the campfire. Sam testing out his bow until he made eye contact with me, he continued to stare until I broke it. I swore to feel nothing towards him, especially since he was most likely about to die. They were killers, how could he scratch that anyone expect to survive?

"When a vampire buys it it's not a pretty sight" He continued. And how would he know? I slammed my hands down on the table making all bodies jump and turn to me, even poor little Laddie. I blamed adrenaline for my outburst. 

"Shut up Edgar! Just becase you have one experience and a Superman slogan doesn't mean you're a professional. Who cares if it's not a pretty sight? I think we've all seen just our limit of ugly sights today so shut the fuck up and listen for once!" I screamed. I didn't plan it. 

"Right Edgar, Alan you will take Laddie upstairs and continue to safeguard the bedrooms. You will have the garlic bathtub, water guns and stakes to defend yourself so it should be manageable. Use them. Laddie you'll follow them up there" I announced gathering all their individual attention. 

"Sam," I said his name, he stared at me suddenly with those big blues of his. 

"You and Michael will hold the doors for as long as possible and try to cover all the exits. If it gets too much, let them in. Use bows, fire, water, anything. Don't make stupid mistakes. It's life or death." I ordered him, trying to make our conversation simply professional and nothing else. I still couldn't help the little tremble my voice did once I said his anme. 

"Everyone got it?' I asked them all.

"Wait! Where willl you go?" Alan asked, which gathered everyones attention. 

"I'll be with you." I responded, thinking about it a little first.

"Now everyone got it?" I asked earning a nod from everyone. 

"Good."

We all gave the table one slam before parting for our battle plan. I exhaled a shaky breath as I, for the second time today, hiked up the stairs. Camouflage on our faces, we all departed. They stopped at the top of the stairs. I was almost at the top, oblivious to what was occurring. The boys gave me a terrified look and I gave one of confusion back. That was until I hear the familiar screeches of vampires. This was followed by barking. 

Nanook was still outside. 

Our heads snapped to the closing door. Then at the doorway we saw Sams blue jaket racing in the dark to untie the knot. I moaned 'cause of annoyance and his insanity before breathing out. Before I could think of any reaosn not to, I ran out to a struggling Sam. His shaking fingers fumbled against the knot he did, regreting his attention to detail now.