Chapter 30

Ashley

"I don't believe it."

I did a blend of a scoff and a laugh. A scoff because this guy was crying to me for help in his time of need despite the fact I didn't know him. A laugh because I couldn't believe my stupidity with trusting this guy. Guy. I still didn't know his god damned name!

"Oh I do, come on Ash let's leave him to rot alone," Sam snarled escorting me away with a mighty arm. 

It was almost as if he was glad that he finally had a reason not to trust him and to despise him. It was almost as if he was...jealous. Ew. 

"Wait" I shrugged out of his grip, reliving the past few months and the brutal brawls we've been through. 

"Name?"

"Jason."

Those agonizing brawls were all for one reason, Michael. Michael was a half vampire, we didn't hesitate to save him. I didn't know Michael, so what's different with this guy? It was time I found out. Sam's questing look hurried me along my long road of arguments. I knew they were bound to disagree but it was worth a shot. Right?

"Sam, we helped Michael in his time of need and I barely knew him! What's so different about this guy?" I asked, analysing each angry and confused face changing as they dipped their toes in my point of view.

"Well, you don't know this guy!" Egar exclaimed, pointing harshly towards the infected innocent. 

Fuck. 

"I didn't know Michael either but I risked my bony ass trying to save him!" I yelled starting to get fired up. Why was this even up for debate?

There was a silence.

Sam's eyes drifted up and down my body as I mentioned that specific part. I internally scoffed and reddened externally. 

"Why is this even up for a debate?! He's coming with us, end of."

I clutched his denim trench coat in my hand, feeling its texture and history. Sweat and dirt seemed to absorb into it, something I would most probably later apologise for. 

"Whatever but listen, just so you know, if you try to stop us, or vamp out in any way, I'll stake you without even thinking twice about it!" Edgar yelled getting closer to the panting brunette like 6ft taller than him. 

"Chill out Edgar" we spoke in sync. 

----

Our backs skimmed side alley buildings and absorbed water and sludge-like stuff. It was like a classic cop movie except we weren't heroes or qualified to do this. I jumped almost every time a drip hit my shoulder, expecting to see a fanged beast not a droplet of water. 

Jason lead the way, I followed, then Sam, then Edgar and then Alan. I still couldn't get Alan out of my head and his tears that seemed so sensitive along with Jason. Between it all, my head was frazzled. 

Though still through all of this I had managed to save a portion of my heart for Sam, the rest would be devoured by whatever Vamp attacked us next. I mean we weren't exactly weaponed to the max right?

We all came to a sudden stop. 

"I'll look, stay here" Jason whispered edging out to the wilderness and screams. 

Part of me knew h was going to be fine but the other part of me just wanted to claw him back against the wall. I mean he was supposedly family after all right? I couldn't let another one go too...

Sam clutched my hand getting the attention back to him. I was a little angry he was acting like this as if I was to give him my undivided attention while an attack was occurring. 

Jason came back unscathed carrying us out into the jungle. The trees stood tall and the animals ran wild everywhere but they were all headed in the same direction, the exit. Who wouldn't blame them? I would've banished them all from the beginning if I'd known. 

Random sings kept falling and falling, hitting the ground and almost me with a clang. Bricks continued sinking and the outcries died down until the town was deserted. Deserted of most human life that is. 

Sam's folks must've been worried sick. 

At that moment I wanted nothing more than to see Santa Carla in my rearview mirror but there was unfinished business, with or without the citizens of The Murder Capital Of The World.