Take my Hand

Previously on "Her Pirate Tail":

Just you wait, she thought. I'll soon be the queen of this world, and no one will be able to raise a finger against me.

Not even the Fairies will be able to stop her.

And so, she turned to walk towards her nemesis, her last challenge. The last obstacle in her way.

Her last curtain.

***

Flashback:

She crouched, silently, in the shadows, her brown eyes calculating and sharp. Every sound that echoed around her, her hand would dart to her waist, moonlight glinting off the blade she held at her side. Lucy was wary, especially at critical times such as these, where in every shadow seems to lurk a danger of some sort.

She knew that even her blades wouldn't protect her if she kept this up.

The golden haired girl slithered along the wall, before disappearing in the air vents that ran over a majority of the mansion. Lucy bit her lip, hands clenching tighter on the silk-wrapped hilt of her dagger, eyes darting back and forth. She was normally of an unfazed and cold temperament, nothing moving or shaking her.

It must be getting to me, she thought, shaking her head to clear her worry. Those days of light and bumbling, busy hallways seemed like a lifetime away. Now, the building was devoid of almost any life, save for herself and those who wished her demise.

The uncertainty in her chest scared her. Lucy shook it off, hardening her eyes, heart, and mind. It was settled then. She would kill anyone to ensure the safety of herself and the outside world.

Until that all changed.

Lucy had found Kusanagi Sakura dead due to Lucy's failure to assassinate the president of Crescent Business and Co., flies swarming around her decaying corpse. A wide two-foot gash had split down her torso, spanning at least four inches. Blood had leaked sluggishly from the wound, the corners already blackening and curling slightly at the edges from an unknown toxin driven into her. Her face was stark white, bloodless and a perfect façade, her expression one of joy despite the horror that had been done to her.

She shuddered, wrapping her arms tightly around herself. Sakura's eyes had been wide with despair and contempt, the milky ash mauve orbs seeming to be staring at something that no one else could see.

Images of her dying flashed before Lucy's eyes, the blood that trickled down the lifeless arm the blonde held in her hands, and the empty, dull eyes that stared back at her, as if accusing her of not protecting her. Indeed, Lucy was at fault for Sakura's death, or so the blonde thought.

Sakura had meant the world to her. When she first met her, Lucy was disgusted at her rudeness towards others and her bad attitude. She mocked Sakura's cruel words, the grotesque twist of her face whenever she scowled, the pinched mouth that seemed to always be on her face, and the sarcasm that dripped off her in putrid waves. But now that she has finally grown to like her, and then accept her as a friend, time had run out. Lucy would never see the fiery platinum blonde that always knew what to say, never experience her deadly wit again, nor will she ever see through her own heart of ice melt a little bit more, until both she and Sakura were closer friends than before.

And now that would never happen. She was gone, and there was no coming back. Ayato was the one who killed her.

***

First Person POV (When Lucy was ten)

Handcuffs—not my best accessory.

For one, they didn't go with the lavender zip-up sweatshirt and blue-gray converses I was wearing for the first party that the real me was invited to. Not the me that was the heir to the Hearts Industry, but Lucy Heartfilia. Even worse, they had used zip ties to tightly tether me to an austere, green speckled, iron clad five foot wall. It didn't help that I was five foot three at ten and had to somehow force my head below my currently unhelpful arms to stand.