Chapter 22- Pretentious Hearts

"Friend seryoso naka-ilang gifts kana sa ex mo bakit tila yata nauubusan kana ng ideas ngayon?"

"Dina, lahat naman yun binili ko this time gusto ko ako mismo ang gagawa"

"bakit ba kailangan mong regaluhan yan si Lance? Ang akala ko ba eh friends lang kayo, akal ko ba wala lang yon kahit nag-kiss kayo? Bakit may pa-effort na ngayon?"

"ano kaba, syempre gusto ko lang na kahht paano may magawa para sa kanya bilang pasasalamat narin sa mga ginawa niya sa akin before mga naitulong niya lalo na nung malungkot ako at nag-a-adjust dito, yun lang naman"

"ah yun lang?"

"oo nga yun lang, maniwala ka nga kasi sa akin"

"alam mo hirap ako maniwala bakit kamo? Dahil kilala kita, ang halik sayo ay mahalaga hindi mo basta basta binibigay, eh nung sinubukan kang halikan ng ex mo dati kahit kayo pa? Eh diba halos natanggal yung bagang mo sa pagkasuntok mo sa kanya?"

"nabigla naman kasi ako non friend, hindi ako handa"

"at ngayon handa kana?"

"hindi naman sa ganon"

"so ano, getting to know each other by kissing each other to know if may magic? May spark? May connection? Hayy nako bes ha, delikado ka diyan"

"I'm okay, wala namang dapat ipag-alala'

"sige sabi mo eh. O siya balik na ako sa duty basta bes, ingatan mo ang puso mo at kung alam mong hindi kapa talaga sigurado, puso niya ang ingatan mo" "huwag kang mag-panggap kung alam mong hindi mo naman kaya pang panindgan"

She cannot deny that Dina's words bothered her a little. The way she and Lance acts are for couples. But she doesn't want to assume or conclude anything. Having Lance in her life right now is the air she needs to breathe every day. No questions, no expectations, his presence is vital at this moment of her life. It is enough for her to press on and be happy in a lonely and strange land. With him, she feels at home.

They spent their days eating together during lunch. Lance would fetch her after work and bond together with Lance's friends. Sometimes, Lance would bring her to Doc Sam's out of respect to his wife's dinner invitation for Faight. They would stroll along the beach every weekend or trek the other side of the mountain. But never did Lance bring Faight to the lighthouse, something that Faight often wondered about but decided to wait for him to be ready.

Anyone can see how affectionate they are towards each other. An invisible floating umbrella of connection covering them. So obvious for others to see, so vague for them to admit. No one wants to hold the handle, no one wants to take charge. Wherever it leads them, they'll just follow. No expectations at least for a while.

"nga pala, I received an email," Faight said while having their lunch

"what about?"

"natanggap ako, application for abroad asap. Dapat maayos ko nalahat ng certificates ko and passport"

"oh, that's good, go!" He said while keep on eating as if he heard nothing important

"ah, so ganyan lang reaction mo, sa bagay gusto mo na ata talaga akong paalisin, ang kulit ko naba?"

"hindi naman sa ganun, ang sa akin lang naman opportunity mo nayan diba? To prove you can do something more, it's for your sanity who am I to stop you"

"well, tama ka naman duon" She replied but a little bit of disappointed

"isa pa, mayaman ako Faight kaya kitang sndan at puntahan pag namiss kita"

Faight almost spew her soup because of what he said

"oh, kasi naman react agad eh ha ha ha ang cute mo talaga"

\

"iiikkkaaaw talaga!!!"

"pero Faight seryoso, do whatever you want. I'll support you" He gently said in assurance while holding her hands

"salamat Lance"

On their way to the parking lot, their exchange of hearty laughs was hindered by a person walking towards them.

"hi! Lance"

"Angela"

Faight remembered her face, she's the woman whom Lance saw that changes his mood weeks before. She just stood there between them, curious about their odd greetings. She wants to move, but her reflexes won't cooperate this time, she wanted to speak for herself but waited for Lane to introduce her instead.

"this is Faight"

"oh, hi, Faight"

"hi, nice to meet you" she replied and shakes her hand

"so, I saw you too sa evacuation center, tinawag kita pero hindi ka lumingon"

"we were busy"

"ah okay. Ahm, I'm with my fiance, tinulungan niya akong magbenta ng lupa, we also helped sa mga nasalanta"

"that's great, very noble. Sige aalis na kami"

"we are?"

"yes we are. Bye Angela"

Lance pulled Faight's hand and lead her inside his truck. Faght noticed again the changed of expression in his eyes. She tries to divert his distracted thoughts back into their bubble. She turned on the radio and sing with every song played on the radio. Although she makes Lance smile, it was not the same smile he used to flash. She wanted so bad to ask him why, but she wants to keep her promise to not ask him anything and just endure the waiting.