Chapter 1~ The Wreck

*Jesse 's P.O.V.*
It's awful. It's all I can see. It's all my fault. That wreck should not have happened and would not have if I just kept my eyes on the road.

Beca and I had spent our summer together and it was great. It was the best summer of my life. Time came to go back to Barden for our sophomore year and Beca and I decided to take one car. We loaded our stuff and into the back of my SUV and headed out. We were within a day's distance away from Barden University when it all went down.

I was driving and Beca was in the passenger seat. She was jamming to the 'Road Trip' CD we had made and every now and then I glanced over at her. I smiled when I saw her do a little goofy dance to the music, she's opened up to me quite a bit. Our song, 'Don't You' from The Breakfast Club came on and we both sang along.

"Won't you come see about me? I'll be alone dancing you know it baby." She sang to me then kissed my cheek.

I turned my head to look at her and it happened. She was the first to see it.

"JESSE, WATCH OUT!!" She yelled.

I looked back at the road just in time to see a semi heading straight for us. I noticed the driver start to frantically spin his steering wheel at the same time I spun mine. My car turned but it wasn't enough. The semi was now headed toward Beca's side and I yelled her name as I tried to get her out of the seat but it was too late. The semi collided with the car ripping Beca from my grip. We started twirling in the road then it came to a sudden stop as it hit the rail on the side of the highway. The impact was so forceful that it caused Beca's head to slam into the already cracked window busting it completely out. Beca went unconscious and I could feel myself start to do the same. I wiped the blood from my eyes and tried to reach for her. I was to weak to move and it got harder and harder to stay awake. Eventually, everything went black.

I slowly woke up. The light burned my eyes for a minute until they adjusted. I saw a fireman pulling me out of the car and lay me on a gurney. A group of paramedics rushed over to me. One put an oxygen mask around my head as I watched another group of paramedics tend to Beca. I couldn't quite hear over all of the ruckus but I was able to make out what one of them said.

"The brain damage is to severe. If we don't get her out of here now there will be no chance of saving her."

I started to freak out. I wanted nothing more than to be by her side.

"Beca." I said weakly.

"Did you say something?" the paramedic patching up my arm asked.

I slowly nodded.

He pulled the oxygen mask off my face and asked me to repeat myself.

"Beca." I said again.

"Is that your name?".

I shook my head and pointed at the other gurney that was now making its way into the ambulance truck.

"It's her name?" He asked.

I nodded.

"What's her last name?"

"Mitchell." I replied.

"John, she has been identified. Look up a Beca Mitchell and find her records!" the paramedic yelled at one of the other paramedics rolling Beca onto the truck.

John gave him a thumbs up and the paramedic turned his attention back to me.

"Thanks son, you just made our job a lot easier. What's your name?" He asked.

"Jesse Swanson."

He nodded and wrapped the oxygen back around my head making it easier to breathe. He started to fill a needle with a vial of something.

"Mr. Swanson, I'm Joe Lawrence. You are in pretty bad shape right now and I'm trying to save your life. To do this, I need you to save your energy. To ensure you do this, I will be injecting you with a very strong sedative. You will fall asleep and not wake up until much later." He explained then shoved the needle in my arm.

I watched the liquid as it disappeared into my arm then my eyelids immediately became heavy. They kept getting heavier and heavier until I couldn't hold them open any longer.