Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

"You cheated!"

I smirked, leaning away from the electronic pool table to scan the guy's credit card, taking away the money that the poor bastard had bet on the game. I flicked the card at him and he caught it, slamming it down on the table and taking a step toward me.

"I didn't cheat," I answered, "I never cheat. You just really suck. Or are you gonna bitch and whine right here in front of all these people?" The demon hesitated, glancing at the faces of everyone watching, who were laughing and roaring insults at him. He ground his teeth together, shot me a dirty look, took his card, and slunk off into the shadows of the bar. I laughed as the crowd whistled and shouted, jostling the guy on his way out as I tucked my scanner back into my pocket.

I'd been out here a week and already made six thousand cred on this stupid game. More than enough to buy some better clothes.

I went to the bar, giving the game a break so the saps could give it a shot, testing out their abilities to see if they were good enough to go up against me. I sat at the bar, knocked on the table to get the bartender's attention so I could order a scotch. I picked up my card, flicked the little tab on the side so that the number amount came up on the tiny holographic screen.

Six thousand and ten creds.

I'd ditched my last card in the alleyway. Hades would be able to track me no problem if I ran around using my own credit card. So I'd bought this cheapie Razr card at a liquor store and so far, it was doing the job. And who knew I had a knack for playing pool? Fuck, I wasn't cheating, I just happened to be good at something I'd never done before. Seriously.

The bartender slid me my scotch and I took it, rolling it around in the crystal glass before I tossed it back, savoring the warm burn that traveled down my throat and into my stomach. I got a stomach cramp, brief and fleeting. I hadn't eaten in a couple days. I should probably order some nachos or something.

I waved the bartender over and ordered the cheapest bar food, which happened to be a basic burger and onion fries. I looked down at my card again with a frown after having swiped it to buy the food and drink.

Five thousand ninety-six creds.

I took a deep breath, wiping a hand down my face before the bartender brought the food over. I scarfed everything down and stood up, leaving the bar through one of the side doors. I looked both ways, keeping an eye out for any of Hades's feelers.

It was stupid of me to still hang around Styx with Hades trying to find me. My brothers were spread out all over the realm trying to find me and Hades himself was residing in my mansion, like he was expecting me to come back. However, I didn't want to leave Styx. It was easy to blend into the crowd in the shittier part of the city. And if someone did recognize me, they didn't give a shit. I wasn't anything special to them. Just another redheaded freak of nature looking for a quick cred.

I headed down the alley toward the shops to buy myself a new set of clothes. What I was wearing was starting to stink and I wasn't stupid enough to strip naked in a laundromat around these parts.

I stuck to the shadows, and it was easier now that I was basically entirely infected. The black sludge still ran through my veins, blending into the darkness was so much easier, and the best part; no one could detect me. It was probably why Hades was having such a hard time finding me.

Thank the gods for that small mercy.

I snuck into a thrift store and poked around for something in all the used clothing. Most of it was fashion from months ago, stuff no one wore anymore. I managed to find a black hoodie and jeans, and I'll be damned if I wore used underwear no thanks. What kind of people donated used underwear? Were people that desperate for some ass coverage? No, I was going commando for the rest of my life.