chapter five

Albus sucked at dueling. When Scorpius had mentioned a Dueling Club offered to upperclassmen at Hogwarts, the dark-haired wizard had been all for it, but as it would turn out, he was just as terrible at dueling as he was at anything else. Still, Scorpius refused to admit that his best friend was lacking, and encouraged him to try again. Then, the most terrible thing happened.

The Dueling Club had been started up again by a few Gryffindor upperclassmen - including James Sirius Potter - who heard stories of what the club had once been when Harry Potter went to Hogwarts. As James was one of the people who brought the club back to life, it was he who decided who would duel whom. And, seeing as Albus was James' squib-of-a-younger-brother, James thought the final face-off of the period should be between Clayton Phillips, one of James' best friends, and his little brother.

"To your starting positions, if you'd please." James smirked, leaning against a pillar in the Great Hall while Albus and Clayton faced each other on opposite ends of the risen stage. From the crowd, Scorpius watched in horror.

Clayton and Albus were nothing alike! They weren't even in the same year. Usually, a respectful dueling partner should've matched to some degree, but the only similarity Scorpius could find between his scrawny, dark-haired best friend and the large, freckled Gryffindor was that they were both boys.

"On the count of three, the match will begin." James decided, standing straighter and watching as his friend and younger brother held up their wands. "Gryffindor versus Slytherin, a match of perfection."

Scorpius bit at his nails - a horrible habit he'd grown accustomed to in nerve-wracking situations. He debated whether running between the two wizards would be a good idea, and decided instead to scream in protest.

"This is wrong!" His voice rang audibly through the Great Hall, and both Clayton and Albus lowered their wands in surprise. James furrowed his eyebrows, searching the crowd for whoever had interrupted his excuse at bullying his younger brother. His eyes landed on Scorpius, and a glare fell into focus.

"You," he spat. "You think you have a right laying claim to what's wrong or not?"

"If you know anything about dueling," Scorpius spoke evenly. "You'd know that the match is entirely unfair. Phillips is more advanced in every aspect."

"And who says dueling is meant to be fair? Do you think my father, the savior of the Wizarding World, had a fair fight against the man your father stood behind?" James sneered, crossing his arms haughtily. His dark brown, curlier hair fell into his hazel eyes, but he didn't make an effort to fix it.

"When teaching any subject involving physical activity, it is meant to be taught fair. But then again, you're not a teacher, are you? You're just a bully, and a damn ruthless one at that." Scorpius claimed, taking a step forward indignantly. "And as for our parentage, we are not the same person as them, and I would never make half of the stupid choices that my father made, though it's obvious you'd rather hide behind your own father's fame than be an individual."

"Enough!" Another voice rang, and Albus stepped towards James and Scorpius. The two Potter brothers still stood on the stage, Scorpius on the floor below, but Albus still worked himself as a barrier as he looked between his brother and best friend. "Enough, already."

"Who are you to tell me when enough is enough, you slimy little Slytherin?" James snapped at his brother, but Albus didn't flinch as he usually would've. Instead, he turned to face his brother calmly.

"I'm your brother, James. Just because I'm younger than you, and perhaps not as talented as you doesn't mean we are not blood. A house is a house, and if you can't look past that to remember that I am your brother, I pity you."

"He's right, James." Scorpius said, stepping up onto the stage to stand beside Albus. "These houses are only temporary. This is your last year at Hogwarts, so once the year is up, it won't matter who you were here, because you will have to make something for yourself out there."

"Like I'd ever take life advice from you, Malfoy. If my father hadn't saved your father's arse, you wouldn't even be alive." James crossed his arms over his chest again, glaring at the blond. He then stared at his younger brother, an annoyed look falling onto his face. "If you're not going to duel, I want you to go. Slytherins are no longer welcomed to these events."

Albus' mouth fell open in shock, and he heard the audible sounds of protest around him from various Slytherins. How could James be so cruel?

"Fine, James, if by houses is the way you want to play it. Banish me, but do not forbid the rest of my house from taking part in this club just because you can't handle someone talking down to you." He narrowed his eyebrows, crossing his arms in a fashion similar to his brother's.

"You're not talking down to me, Albus. I'm taller than you." James rolled his eyes. "Why are you still here?"

"Promise me you'll let the Slytherins participate in your silly little club, James, and I'll be on my way." Albus demanded, extending his hand for the deal. James looked at it as if it were covered in extreme filth, and then met his brother's green eyes again. With a groan of annoyance, he took the boy's hand firmly and shook.

"Fine. Now, get out of here, you runt."

"With pleasure." Albus smirked daringly, and Scorpius watched him with amazement as the fifteen year old marched purposefully from the room. Once in the corridor, he began to laugh and Albus looked at him as if he'd gone mad.

"What's gotten into you?"

"The look on James' face during this whole fiasco, and the way he appeared as a child throwing a tantrum while you just remained as calm as a brook. You really told him, Albus." Scorpius managed to say through fits of laughter, and the green-eyed boy rolled his eyes before wrapping his arm around the blond's shoulder.

"You're ridiculous, Scorpius."

"And you're a terrible dueler."

The two made their way back to their dormitories to freshen up before dinner. Scorpius had heard from one of the house elves who manned the kitchens that a treacle tart was being prepared for the night, and he knew Albus would enjoy that very much.