Chapter One

Okay so tell me if you like this because I have other chapters done but I'm not sure whether I want to post very much yet.

Npov

        I worked and lived at a mansion with my mom. We didn't own it- we could never afford that- but the family that did had enough money to hire some workers. My mom and I had been going through some pretty hard times, in fact, we had been homeless for about a week since my mom was fired from her last job, and when we found this place my mom immediately applied for a job. She got it, and I was able to live with her.

       I don't know much about the family- I barely ever see them. They only come down to the worker's level (which was in the basement, I think to remind us that we're lower than them.) if they had to fire us. And that's only the husband and wife, I've never seen any of the kids. But, really, why would I want to? They're probably prissy little brats that only care about themselves and their money. I think there were three boys and one girl. I didn't even know their names.

       But like I said, who would want to?

~~~

       I groaned as my mom shook me awake. I couldn't afford a phone, and our clock doesn't have an alarm so if one of us sleeps in we depend on the other to wake us up.

       "I'm up, I'm up." I said. She smiled at me as I got out of bed. We woke up really early in order to do any cleaning, cooking, or anything else the Family (my name for the people who own the house) needs. I usually ended up being late to school anyway. It doesn't help that the husband and wife want everyone to wear uniforms when they're working- whether they've got school to get to or not. That means I've got to run back down to the servants' quarters and change into my own clothes as soon as I finish working. It's not fun.

       "Good. You got your backpack ready for school yesterday, right?"

       "Yeah."

        I rolled out of bed and got my uniform. Then I went to the bathroom to get changed, brush my teeth, etc.

       When I finished getting ready, I rushed outside and joined a small crowd of other servants going to work at some place in the mansion. I knew most of them well but I rarely get a chance to talk to them anymore. Not that I'm complaining, some of them are mean.

       First I went to the kitchens to cook the Family breakfast. Usually I just set it on the table and then they came in to eat whenever they wanted, because they never ate as a family. I always wondered why.

       I started making toast, bacon, and eggs. I had made pancakes yesterday and oatmeal the day before, and they get mad if I don't mix it up. Or at least the parents do.

       When I finished the food, I brought it out to the dining room and set it on the table for the Family to eat later.

       Then I darted back down to my room and got changed into clothes I could wear to school.

       I sprinted out of the mansion when I finished getting my stuff for school. The school wasn't far away, which was good for me considering I had to walk. When I got there everyone was already heading to their classes.

       I sighed, I was late again.