Chapter Two

Okay so you guys liked it...

Npov

I looked down at what I was sketching. It looked like a tree maybe, with its branches spread out across the page. I hadn't ever drawn a tree before. It was pretty good for my first time. I put the notebook away when the bell rang. Everyone around me got up and rushed out; most of us had the same lunch.

I was about to do the same when someone tapped on my shoulder. I tensed. No one ever talked to me... I looked up at them. It was a guy with curly blonde hair and bright blue eyes. I didn't recognize him at all.

"Hi, um, I'm Will. I was homeschooled and this is my first year here and I have absolutely no clue where the cafeteria is so I was wondering if you could show me." He rambled, looking hopeful.

"I don't know..."

"Please? I don't know who else to ask."

So that's why he's asking me. I was his only choice.

"Fine, but only because there's no one else here and I was going to the cafeteria anyway."

He beamed at me. "Great!"

I finished gathering my stuff and left the classroom, Will following behind me.

"So you lived here even before you went to this school? Or did you move from somewhere else?"

"I've lived here all my life. What about you?"

"I moved here from Italy. We had, um, family issues."

"Oh. I guess that's why you seemed to have an accent."

"Yeah." We arrived at the cafeteria and went through the food line. A kid that looked similar to Will but a bit older made his way over to us.

"Hey. Who's this?" He asked, gesturing to me.

Will frowned. "I don't think I asked you your name. What is it?"

"Nico."

"That's pretty."

I mumbled a thank you. The other blonde glared at Will. Then he looked over at me and smiled. "I'm Octavian. Nice to meet you, Nico. Do you wanna join me and my friends over there?"

Will looked at his feet. I looked where he was pointing and almost laughed. The bullies? He wanted me to sit with them? No way. They hated me.

"Do you realize that you made friends with the school bullies?" I asked. Surely he didn't mean to?

"Oh, yeah. They're always the most fun anyway. You wanna come?"

I blinked. That was the cruelest thing I had ever heard. I looked up at Will. Only now did I realize he had a bruise on his chin.

Schist. That can't be good.

"No way am I sitting over there." I said, turning away from him.

"Why won't you?"

"If you can't see why, I'm not even going to try to explain it to you."

He glared at me. "Sit over there. Not with my brother." It was a command now. Like he had the right to tell me where to sit. This kid was obviously bad news.

I rolled my eyes and turned around and went to my usual spot in the back of the cafeteria. The table had been claimed by me awhile ago and my  lunch had such a small number of kids that I could have the whole table to myself.

I heard a yelp from across the cafeteria. I looked up and saw the older blonde dragging Will across the cafeteria to the bullies' table. Will locked eyes with me but not in a pleading way, it was like he was trying to warn me to stay away.

I looked down at my food. It wasn't my job to protect him, right? And if I went over to that table to confront them, they'd probably tell Will about my past, or worse, get mad at me and punch me.

I glanced back up at the table. Will had tears in his eyes and was staring down at his food. They must've said something mean. Poor kid, I thought. He didn't even get a chance. I pondered what I should do for a long time. Eventually the bell went off and everyone got up and threw their food away.

Saved by the bell.