Home

(Wreckage POV)

When one thinks of the words, "Apex Predators," one of the last adjectives that comes to mind is "hospitality." Rooms, clothes, weapons, ammo, tools, food, money... all provided for us by Blisk and the other Predators. The base was built inside a mountain and looked small from the outside, although everyone had their own room. My room was on the second floor. I walked down to the kitchen, observing Kane playing a video game. He was yelling at the screen, something about his teammates being "idiots" and "jackasses." He flipped off the screen and threw the controller at a wall. "Be nice to the wall, Kane. What did it ever do to you?" I smiled.

He was silent for a moment. "Shut. Up."

"Someone's in a good mood."

He groaned and I made my way into the kitchen. I microwaved some generic brand bacon. As I waited, Slone walked down the stairs. She had managed herself into her jumpsuit, but she was yawning.

"Hey, Slone." I waved.

"Give. Me. Coffee." She growled.

I poured her a mug from the steaming pot. She gladly accepted it.

The microwave started to beep, telling me that my breakfast was done. I ate the bacon quickly, and walked back upstairs to change into my jumpsuit. I slipped on my jumpsuit, boots, and helmet. I holstered my pistol, sheathed my data knife, and put my R-97 on my back. I walked back down, and everyone but Blisk was there. Blisk came down soon after.

"Okay people. There's gonna be a new chain of command. Slone will stay my second in command. Wreckage will replace Richter as one of my lieutenants. Viper and Ash will remain the other two," Blisk explained.

Richter looked at me and scowled. I shrugged, putting on an innocent-but-upset look, as if to say 'what the fuck did I do?' He muttered some profanities in German. I quickly cloaked, making my way around the crowd and behind Richter. I unsheathed my Data Knife and wrapped my arm around his chest, holding my knife to his neck as my cloak wore off. Some blood trickled out of the small slash I made.

"I'd advise you not to talk about your superiors like that." I smirked under my helmet. I knew a little German, and enough to get the gist of what he was saying about me. He was about to say something, but I stopped him. "One more word and I go deeper."

Richter weighed his options. "Sorry. Ich werde derjenige sein, der dich tötet."

"You wish. Scavenger will put you and Tone to shame before you can get close."

"You cannot match Tone. Sie wird das Stück Metall zerstören, das du einen Titan nennst. Scavenger ist nichts."

I was at a loss of what he was saying. I pulled the knife away from his neck and he gasped for air. He stalked away, clutching his neck.

—-

I started to feel bad about replacing Richter. He was thrown into depression, as he worked hard for that position. Slone told me how he developed a stim addiction. Not even Kane and his narcotics addiction was this bad. Richter was an amazing pilot, and it would be shame to loose him. I felt bad. After living and working with the Predators, Richter had become a close friend. Whether it was intentional or not, this new chain of command was beginning to drive a wedge between us.