chapter 17

Colored pots containing various plants are neatly decorated on the steps that lead up to the old Oakwood door with a Victorian carving into it. The house as such is quint but I had spend the best of my childhood days in it. The heavily curtained windows still bare the faint traces of the million intangible figures visible to my eyes from when I use to draw in the rainy seasons.
I look around and I can picture a child version of myself running around to the backyard where grandpa had made for me a special swing. I take a deep breath of the familiar air that is of my grandparents house and raise my hands to ring the bell.

Dread was something I had never felt before. I had felt fear a thousand or so times. Fear for being eaten up by the monster hiding in my closet. Fear of being grounded when I broke my mom's expensive China wear. Fear for when I thought I would fail my test and fear for being dumped by James. Yet all those fear combined couldn't explain what I felt right now. Dread. Similar to fear but so much more worst a feeling. My heart wasn't hammering against my chest anymore it was lapsing and threatening to slow down and stop altogether. That was dread. My hands and feet were turning cold as my insides froze. That is dread. My breath left me and the world seemed to come to a standstill because I felt dread capture me.

Mortal. Human. Out of all the things if there was anything I was sure of, it was the fact that I am a human. A mortal and now this Angel, a supernatural being raised a doubt and put a question mark on my very existence. If I am not a mortal then who am I?

"What am I?" I didn't even realize that I voiced the last question out.

"You aren't a nephilim I am certain of that but you do have a nephilim blood in you." He analyzed, scrutinizing me. His intense gaze made me feel more agitated and nervous as I tried to wrap my head around this new found information.